none
ADVv2 Custom Activity with Many Dependencies - "Total size of resourceFiles cannot be more than 32768 characters"

Question

• I have a C# exe that I need to run in ADF v2 as a custom activity. When we execute it, we get "Total size of resourceFiles cannot be more than 32768 characters" . I've read where you have to zip everything up. I did that and put 7zip in the blob container with the zip. When I execute the command below, I get an error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Command: 7z e TestCustomActivity.zip  && TestCustomActivity.exe

Error:  "errorCategory": 0, "code": "CommandProgramNotFound", "message": "The specified command program is not found", "details": [ { "Name": "CommandLine", "Value": "7z e TestCustomActivity.zip -y && TestCustomActivity.exe" }, { "Name": "Message", "Value": "The system cannot find the file specified.\r\n" } ],

Sunday, October 7, 2018 6:17 PM

Answers

• I finally figured this out, so I thought I would include the answer in case others are having the same issue. If you have a lot of reference files in your publish folder for your project, zip them and your exe into a 7zip file.

For the command in your custom activity, this is what worked for me: 

cmd  /C "7z e -y TestCustomActivity.7z  &&  TestCustomActivity.exe"

You will need the 7z.dll and 7z.exe in your blob storage location that your 7zip file is located.

• Marked as answer by NancyBoyette Monday, October 8, 2018 2:41 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2018 2:41 PM

All replies

• I finally figured this out, so I thought I would include the answer in case others are having the same issue. If you have a lot of reference files in your publish folder for your project, zip them and your exe into a 7zip file.

For the command in your custom activity, this is what worked for me: 

cmd  /C "7z e -y TestCustomActivity.7z  &&  TestCustomActivity.exe"

You will need the 7z.dll and 7z.exe in your blob storage location that your 7zip file is located.

• Marked as answer by NancyBoyette Monday, October 8, 2018 2:41 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2018 2:41 PM
  • Hi Nancy,

In one of the scenario i need to decompress the file using 7z (file size is just 1 MB). I tried with same approach with only change in command as below :

cmd  /C "7z x TestFiles.7z -o/targetfolder"

When run, the custom activity went into running state and nothing happened post that. (Activity shown running state only and never completes) 

No error thrown.

I am not able to understand this issue, could you please let me know your opinion on this,if possible if you have any sample example to illustrate this kind of activity it will definitely help.

Abhijeet

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 5:55 PM