we are planning to migrate .net 1.1 to .net 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

• hi we are planning to migrate from .net 1.1 to .net 3.5 which includes enterprise application block too, i would like to know if any resources available for best practice which we can follow for migration methodology. 
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

There are 2 options here for you.

1. Do you want a simple vanilla based migration

2. Do you want to utilize all the features of 3.5 ex: WPF, WCF andWWF

In the option 1 , you can open the current project in VS 2008 / 2005 and it will take you through a wizard you get the upgraded code, but yes you will have do manual fixes to resolve the warnings and issues

In the option 2, you might want to rewrite your application oif you are looking at using some of the features of 3.5 framework

SImplest is ugrade to 2.0 and it will be complible on 3.5 framework.

The .NET 1.1 -> .NET 2.0 breaking changes are detailed here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa570326.aspx

Here's a helpful blog entry from Brad Abrams on upgrade experience:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/brada/archive/2007/01/15/real-world-customer-experience-in-migrating-from-net-framework-1-1-to-2-0.aspx

Please mark as anwers if this helps

Thanks and Regards Azhar Amir
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:20 AM
  • I think you'll also find there are also breaking changes in the enterprise library between versions.  Depending on how much this is used you might want to consider obviating it. 

There are huge differences between versions 1.1 and 3.5 that mean a straight upgrade misses out on a number of benefits. This may not be particularly signifcant or a good opportunity to upgrade your data and business layers.

I would also add that you should be considering .Net4 rather than 3.5,

If you wrote an application using 3.5 your best bet for ORM would be linq to sql.  That's now last year's thing as entity framework 4 is way better than the original EF.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:54 AM
  • I would suggest to do a noraml migration using Visual studio and then identify the area in which we can use the best features of 3.5 or 4.0 and do a layer by layer change. this approch will help you to reduce the migration cost/time and get the best out of technology upgradation. suggesting 4.0 rather than 3.5
    • Proposed as answer by Pramod K V P Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:51 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Greeting From Programmerlive,

If you  are migrating to .net 3.5  for an existing application, make sure that the existing needs to use the features of .net 3.5. It will increase of cost of development, resource and it requires very good project planning.

You need to ask first , why You need to migrate to .net 3.5 and justify the reasons, also need to consult with .net software architect for proper technical decisions .

Do not jump into things, take time and make proper analysis.

Hope this helps,

PL

Helping People To Solve Technical Problems
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Hi, 

What should be the role of solutions architect here , is there any reference from where i can take help to work as solution architect in this project i would like to know what re architecturing can be done in this scenario.

rgds

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:34 PM
  • I saw a rather thorough article by Jonathan Waldman in the latest issue of MSDN (September 2010) on migrating from .net 1.1 to 4.0 but he also instructs how to go to 3.5. The article is very detailed and seems pretty easy to follow. It's under "App Migration" in the TOC.
    Monday, September 6, 2010 12:21 PM
  • Here's the article by Jonathan Waldman: Migrate Your ASP.NET 1.1 Apps to Visual Studio 2010.
    Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and mark as Helpful. Thanks!
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:06 AM