Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 -> 2013 (RTM) There is no designer support for this file when opening tables (.lsml) files in VS 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my project after install VS 2013. The Project ran fine in VS 2012 Update 3. I had a few warnings but no errors. Now when I try and open a table from Solution Explorer (.lsml) file, I get an error.

Need help please!

Thanks

Jonathan

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:20 AM

Answers

• Ok, here is the fix to make ALL our upgraded HTML clients work with VS2013 RTM. I will leave it to the support team to work out the what and why... and perhaps a fix?

<PropertyGroup Label="Globals">
        <ProjectGuid>334c04d6-6b27-4872-8976-c5112c685d9b</ProjectGuid>
        <LightSwitchVersion>v4.0</LightSwitchVersion>
      </PropertyGroup>
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\$(MSBuildToolsVersion)\Microsoft.Common.props" Condition="Exists('$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\$(MSBuildToolsVersion)\Microsoft.Common.props')" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\$(LightSwitchVersion)\MobileClient\Microsoft.LightSwitch.MobileClient.Default.props" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\$(LightSwitchVersion)\MobileClient\Microsoft.LightSwitch.MobileClient.props" />

Our upgraded projects (mostly from VS2013 RC) look like the above and the HTML client projects have no LightSwitch context menu commands in solution explorer. A quick edit to replace all instances of '$(LightSwitchVersion)' to 'v4.0' fixes the problem. I don't know the 'why' but we are working again :)

</PropertyGroup>
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\$(MSBuildToolsVersion)\Microsoft.Common.props" Condition="Exists('$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\$(MSBuildToolsVersion)\Microsoft.Common.props')" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\V4.0\MobileClient\Microsoft.LightSwitch.MobileClient.Default.props" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\V4.0\MobileClient\Microsoft.LightSwitch.MobileClient.props" />

Jonathan can you check this on the off-chance that it gets your upgraded project working? You will need to switch back to the main LightSwitch project node as the 'Start-up Project', definitely not the 'HTML Client project'. Hopefully the 'Set as Start-up Client' will return and then you can continue working...

+++ For completeness, I tried a reverse edit on a brand new VS2013 RTM HTML client project. Sure enough it breaks.

Cheers

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

• Edited by Xpert360 Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:58 PM update
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, October 28, 2013 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:16 PM

All replies

• Also have:

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.Server, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:39 AM
  • Are there any errors in the Error List tool window? Are any of the projects unloaded or failed to load (e.g. LightSwitch or Client project)?

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:39 AM
  • No errors in the Error List Tool Window, No Unloaded Projects.

I also get an error message when I do F5 to debug:

"Unable to launch the previously selected debugger. Please choose another"

After I click OK the web site attempts to load and I get the Yellow Screen of Death:

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.Server, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Monday, October 21, 2013 11:57 PM
  • Getting Bored I created a blank VSLS VB Project with no data in visual studio 2013 and just clicked Run to see what would happen. I got the Yellow Screen of Death with a different version number of the DLL's

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.LightSwitch, Version=10.0.12.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.LightSwitch, Version=10.0.12.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error: 
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Microsoft.LightSwitch, Version=10.0.12.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' could not be loaded.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:00 AM
  • I have one project with the symptoms described. I also have some projects with symptoms that I would describe as 'half-working' in solution explorer. I will quickly describe the situation. If the problems warrant a new thread we can do that.

Contoso based app, working fine in VS2013 RC, 2 clients, now in VS2013 RTM it loads ok and looks superficially ok in solution explorer, no messages. All screen and entity lsml open ok in designer. Looking closely at the HTML client project node and below, all the LightSwitch context menu commands are absent (Add screen, Use as startup, etc...). Same on two computers one Win7 ultimate the other Win8.

I have a project with these symptoms that builds and runs (HTML client is the startup) but the LightSwitch commands are missing from the HTML client!

I will try to isolate the cause but if anyone has any questions just ask!

VS2013 RTM, SDK and LS Ext Toolkit are installed and many projects are working ok (apart from ones with the duplicate key problem). No dodgy VS2013 extensions, honest.

++++ Now I cannot find any upgraded HTML client projects without this problem on any test machines. This includes almost every flavour of LightSwitch project possible, they are our test projects. But brand new HTML client projects in VS2013 RTM work.

++++ Just fixed one by making an innoculous edit to the .jsproj file. Will verify if that fixes the rest...

Cheers

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

• Edited by Xpert360 Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:55 AM progress
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:12 AM
  • Ok, here is the fix to make ALL our upgraded HTML clients work with VS2013 RTM. I will leave it to the support team to work out the what and why... and perhaps a fix?

</PropertyGroup>
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\$(LightSwitchVersion)\MobileClient\Microsoft.LightSwitch.MobileClient.Default.props" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\$(LightSwitchVersion)\MobileClient\Microsoft.LightSwitch.MobileClient.props" />

Our upgraded projects (mostly from VS2013 RC) look like the above and the HTML client projects have no LightSwitch context menu commands in solution explorer. A quick edit to replace all instances of '$(LightSwitchVersion)' to 'v4.0' fixes the problem. I don't know the 'why' but we are working again :)

</PropertyGroup>
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\V4.0\MobileClient\Microsoft.LightSwitch.MobileClient.Default.props" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\V4.0\MobileClient\Microsoft.LightSwitch.MobileClient.props" />

Jonathan can you check this on the off-chance that it gets your upgraded project working? You will need to switch back to the main LightSwitch project node as the 'Start-up Project', definitely not the 'HTML Client project'. Hopefully the 'Set as Start-up Client' will return and then you can continue working...

+++ For completeness, I tried a reverse edit on a brand new VS2013 RTM HTML client project. Sure enough it breaks.

Cheers

Dave

• Edited by Xpert360 Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:58 PM update
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, October 28, 2013 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:16 PM
  • Dave;

Thanks for the reply, I'll make a back-up of my files and try this evening.

THANKS!

Jonathan

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Jonathan,

Fingers crossed, there could be other problems, perhaps something similar in some server projects, I'll take a look...

+++ Jonathan, I don't think this is your exact problem

+++ It seems the problem here could be for HTML clients previously upgraded to VS2013 RC and possibly the preview.

• Edited by Xpert360 Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:25 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:07 PM