Upgrading Dotnet framework version for asp.net website on production enviorment RRS feed

• Question

• Can any one help me to upgrade dot net framework version from 4.0 to 4.6.2 for asp.net website hosted on production environment.Currently hosted asp.net website on production has target .Net framework 4.0. I want to upgrade this website with .Net framework 4.6.2.Can anybody explain me how to change target framework with 4.6.2 and what are the impact on existing code.

your help will be appreciated. 
    Monday, May 23, 2016 4:22 AM

Answers

• First, consult the checklist for breaking changes here, review all the changes between 4.5 to 4.6.2 and fix them accordingly if they're applicable to your web application.

Then, create a VM to run 4.6.2 runtime and try to host your web applicaion there, have tester test it to see if anything is broken. If possible, restore using backups of production to VM on isolated network (this is possible, say, when the production server itself is in VM) and try to perform upgrade there. This will allow you to see anything that possibly will go wrong during update process.

Finally, backup the system and perform update there. Since 4.5/4.6 is in-place update for 4.0 you should not need to manually update application pool setting after the update is applied. If there's not other software that use .NET framework on the system, no reboot should be required, but I'll recommand a reboot anyway after a major system update to make sure the system can survive the next reboot.

• Proposed as answer by Kristin Xie Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by DotNet Wang Friday, June 3, 2016 1:19 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 8:13 AM
    Answerer