none
MSDN keys after expiration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My MSDN subscription is going to end in two weeks and I have couple of questions regarding keys and downloads.

1. I have backup of my keys but I cant download all the packages because my internet is slow. Could I use MSDN keys to activate trial versions of software packages? Or Software package must be downloaded from MSDN for the key to work?

for example I have keys for Visual studio 2012 ultimate, can I download trial version of vs2012 and use my MSDN key?

2. Can I download web installer instead of full DVD and install a software package after MSDN expires?

3. Can I Queue packages in File Transfer Manager and download after subscription is expired?

4. Can I export FTM download queue onto other computer's FTM?

I would appreciate your effort to answering my questions.

Thanks,

Uruha 

• Edited by Uruha Sunday, December 8, 2013 7:09 PM
    Sunday, December 8, 2013 7:08 PM

Answers

• Finally got a reply Uruha!  The FTM Queue times out after 13 days. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Marked as answer by Uruha Friday, December 13, 2013 10:03 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

My MSDN subscription is going to end in two weeks and I have couple of questions regarding keys and downloads.

1. I have backup of my keys but I cant download all the packages because my internet is slow. Could I use MSDN keys to activate trial versions of software packages? Or Software package must be downloaded from MSDN for the key to work?

for example I have keys for Visual studio 2012 ultimate, can I download trial version of vs2012 and use my MSDN key?

Unfortunately it depends on what type of subscription you have whether or not you are licensed to continue to use software from MSDN after your MSDN Subscription expires.  Retail subscriptions allow for perpetual licensing, but many volume licensing subscriptions do not, so you need to check this.  

Regarding your question about trial versions, Generally Trial versions do not let you put a real key into the trial version and get it to work however I am no expert on each individual software packages, so you should ask in the Visual Studio forum about your Visual studio 2012 question for instance.

2. Can I download web installer instead of full DVD and install a software package after MSDN expires?

You wont be able to download it after your subscription expires.  If you have perpetual licensing (as I explained above) you will be able to install it if you downloaded it prior to your subscription expiration.

3. Can I Queue packages in File Transfer Manager and download after subscription is expired?

No.  Items set up in the FTM queue time out after a while.

4. Can I export FTM download queue onto other computer's FTM?

I would appreciate your effort to answering my questions.

Thanks,

Uruha 

I dont think you can move one queue to another machine in the FTM, but you should be able to just download from MSDN from another machine (barring download speed issues of course).

I hope this answers your questions!

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, December 9, 2013 3:39 PM
  • I was able to export my download queue by coping following file to other computer.

File name: ftmTransferList.txt

File Path: C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\File Transfer Manager

You need to change download location in the file and delete ftmTransferList.txt.bak file at destination.

I wanted to do this because it is easier to manage and move only one file.

--

About FTM Queue time out,

1. How long does it take to time out? I think I can finish my downloads in a month.

I found following with VS2013 static activation key

The product key is not embedded with Visual Studio 2013. When you launch the product, you can simply sign in with the Microsoft account associated with your MSDN subscription and your IDE will automatically activate.

2.  If I install before subscription ends will it work after subscription expires?

Thanks

Monday, December 9, 2013 6:32 PM
  • I was able to export my download queue by coping following file to other computer.

File name: ftmTransferList.txt

File Path: C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\File Transfer Manager

You need to change download location in the file and delete ftmTransferList.txt.bak file at destination.

I wanted to do this because it is easier to manage and move only one file.

--

About FTM Queue time out,

1. How long does it take to time out? I think I can finish my downloads in a month.

I will found out.  To be clear, you are asking about items that already appear in the FTM Queue, and appear there until you let them complete downloading?  

I found following with VS2013 static activation key

The product key is not embedded with Visual Studio 2013. When you launch the product, you can simply sign in with the Microsoft account associated with your MSDN subscription and your IDE will automatically activate.

2.  If I install before subscription ends will it work after subscription expires?

I believe so, but this is a question about Visual Studio so you should ask in one of the Visual Studio forums, probably the 'setup' forum here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=vssetup

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, December 9, 2013 7:00 PM
  • "To be clear, you are asking about items that already appear in the FTM Queue, and appear there until you let them complete downloading?" 

Yes, thats what I mean, My subscription ends in two weeks 

because of slow internet speed I wont be able to complete all downloads in two weeks.

Thank you for answering my question, I have posted a new question in Visual Studio forum.

Monday, December 9, 2013 10:49 PM
  • Finally got a reply Uruha!  The FTM Queue times out after 13 days. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Mike

• Marked as answer by Uruha Friday, December 13, 2013 10:03 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 6:46 PM