none
RDP Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• For RDPELE and RDP Per Device Licensing. I'm a little confused on how this works with temporaries and permanent licenses.

Given the following scenario of a non microsoft RDP client with no persistent storage to store a per device license

With that client, it sounds like  it will get a temporary license every connection.

What actually goes on in this situation? How many temporaries may be issued before license enforcement kicks in?

Friday, February 14, 2014 8:19 PM

All replies

• Thank you for your inquiry.  For licensing and patent questions, please e-mail “iplicreq (at) Microsoft (dot) com”.  You may also be interested in a presentation by Scott Schilling, who monitors that alias, “Open Specifications Programs and Licensing” at http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Open-Specifications-Plugfests/Taipei-Interoperability-Protocols-Plugfest-2013/Open-Specifications-Programs-and-Licensing.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, February 14, 2014 8:54 PM
  • Thank you for your response Josh, but i am not asking about the license programs, i am asking about the Windows RDP protocol RDPELE and behavior associated with that and non microsoft rdp clients.
    Friday, February 14, 2014 8:57 PM
  • No problem, I'm researching this for you.

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, February 14, 2014 9:15 PM
  • Hello ethois -

Regarding this 'How many temporaries may be issued before license enforcement kicks in?' - can you please refer TechNet article, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725933.aspx, and let me know if it address your query.

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:46 PM
  • Let me ask a more pointed and specific questions then.

In MS-RDPELE 2.2.2.2 CLIENT_NEW_LICENSE_REQUEST. There are two fields, ClientUserName and ClientMachineName. RDPELE claims that ClientUserName and ClientMachineName are used together to keep track of licenses issued to clients.

For this scenario assume ClientUserName=username and ClientMachineName=device.

1)Device attempts to connect to server and sends CLIENT_NEW_LICENSE_REQUEST.

2)Device and Server go through RDPELE and Device is issued temporary License.

3)Device is reset and does not keep issued temporary License.

4)Device attempts to connect to server again and sends CLIENT_NEW_LICENSE_REQUEST, with same ClientUserName and ClientMachineName as before.

Is device issued another temporary license, or does the license server match up the ClientUserName and ClientMachineName, see that a temporary was previously issued, and then attempt issue a permanent license if available? Or will the server blindly issue a new temporary?

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Thanks for additional details, looking into it.

Monday, February 17, 2014 9:21 PM
  • On resetting, client will not have a license in its license store hence it will follow the sequence diagram in section 1.3.3.1.

Server identifies a client  through  CLIENT_HARDWARE_ID as described here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc241920.aspx . Reset will generate a new hardware id as a result server will issue a new temporary license.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:57 PM