Touch vs. The Stylus - What's Wrong with Touch?

Question

• So I'm loving the Developer Preview, and using it full time on my HP Slate 500.  My main problem is the way Touch (with fingers, NOT with the Stylus) handles so "differently" from Win 7.  Flicks are broken.  Kinetic scrolling in some Win32 apps fails.  And now, the Swype keyboard is finally available for my tablet, and it doesn't work with fingers under Win 8 (works fine with the stylus, works fine with both on Win 7).  Windows 8 seems to be treating my fingers as something "other" than a standard touch input.  Almost like a mouse?  (When I try to practice flicks, I get a message saying I can't flick with a mouse!)  This might just be N-Trig's drivers (has anyone successfully reverted to the standard windows touch drivers after installing N-Trig?), but I suspect the issue is on the OS side of things.  Has anyone been able to restore the touch behavior of Windows 7 on their Win 8 machine?  And if not, is this issue at least known and hopefully slated to be fixed?
    Monday, November 14, 2011 4:17 PM

Answers

• I don't think that all of N-trig's N-Act gestures are working in W8.

Judging by the information in this Build video it looks like that will be by design, so I have now removed N-act on both W7 and W8.

<input id="sessionVideoButton" alt="Click to watch video" src="/images/video.png" type="image" tabindex="1" />

(Build search for
        Touch Language
    )

The link or icon or whatever it is resulted from a right-click Copy of the Video button in the targeted Build presentation.   The above search yields one result.

---

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Marilyn
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:42 PM

All replies

• Windows 8 seems to be treating my fingers as something "other" than a standard touch input. Almost like a mouse? 

Tablet Pointer you mean?   With single finger gestures?   That's what I want!   It seems to have been left out of W8.   Could your third-party tool be forcing that feature on somehow even though there is no UI for it?

I'm new to Touch in W7 and am kicking myself for not having discovered Tablet Pointer earlier in it.   I'm sure I would have been using Touch a lot more if I had known how that "mystery mouse" works.  ; )

Also, FWIW I don't think that all of N-trig's N-Act gestures are working in W8.   But I have seen traces of its  NtrigOnScreenMenu  feature working, so it's not being completely blocked out.   A ways to go though before it looks like this for example.

What all do you have of N-trig's installed?   FWIW I think that I had to do the same thing in W7 including a firmware update, which I don't remember seeing in the W8 install, before I really got Touch working well on both systems (e.g. running via dual boot).   Well "well" except for the exceptions that I am alluding to, of course.   ICIM I have an HP TouchSmart tx2.

If you are seeing your symptom in Flicks Training, I can confirm, even with two fingers.   However, that dialog would have me convinced not to bother trying Flicks even with the pen.  ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Touch Pointer is apparently the preferred label for this feature.   Sorry for the confusion.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:00 AM
  • I don't think that all of N-trig's N-Act gestures are working in W8.

Judging by the information in this Build video it looks like that will be by design, so I have now removed N-act on both W7 and W8.

<input id="sessionVideoButton" alt="Click to watch video" src="/images/video.png" type="image" tabindex="1" />

(Build search for
        Touch Language
    )

The link or icon or whatever it is resulted from a right-click Copy of the Video button in the targeted Build presentation.   The above search yields one result.

---

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Marilyn
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:42 PM