How to recover deleted item from a list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

An item was deleted from a list by a user and I was told to investigate the date of deletion and by whom.

So I went to Recycle Bin and also to Site Collection Recycle Bin, but no avail.

Is there any other way to get the details of the deleted item or where the deleted item can be found?

Thanks

Shameej

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes you can find out the user. Login to the content database there you will have a table dbo.RecycleBin.

Query this table for DeleteUserID and then query the table UserInfo with this deleteUserID to get user details. You will get other details as well from this DeleteUserID table.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:03 AM

All replies

• Have the user who deleted the item check the Recycle Bin.  Each 1st level Recycle bin is filtered to the logged in user.  So if you go to the Recycle Bin you won't see it, but if the user goes to the Recycle Bin (and it wasn't too long ago) then the item should still be there.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Hi,

It will be visible only to the user who has deleted it. Check this out with the user. If you do not see that in the recycle bin at both the levels then a DB backup restoration is required for the same.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:18 AM
  • I have the site collection admin access, so I hope I would be able to see all the items in the recycle bin and also we don't know the user who deleted it. We are trying to find the user who deleted it and restoring the content is not the priority. Any suggestions to find the user.

Shameej

Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

Yes you can find out the user. Login to the content database there you will have a table dbo.RecycleBin.

Query this table for DeleteUserID and then query the table UserInfo with this deleteUserID to get user details. You will get other details as well from this DeleteUserID table.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:03 AM