Intelligent way to pass on a Tap to the "outer" control context, or new design?

Question

• I have a Flyout with thumbnails on it that allow a user to jump to different positions in a video.  Originally I had the Flyout dismiss itself after a thumbnail was clicked, but then I realized that users will want to leave it open and jump to different locations until they find the right one.  So now I leave it up and you dismiss it with the usual tap outside the box.

This is creates a moment of confusion if the user tries to tap a button on the page outside the Flyout.  The first tap is ignored because it's the tap outside the box that dismisses the Flyout.  Is there any way to have the tap outside the box event not get swallowed like that? Or do I need to consider a different design and if so, suggestions please?

-- roschler

Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:53 PM

All replies

• As far as I can understand here you want to trap Tap event outside of flyout, this is the same event which is used by system to hide charm related flyouts (including charms bar itself) that are not part of your App but provided by operating system. This will create issues where people my want to trap it and make all system unstable. 

Thumbnails in Settings Charm to seek Video does not look like a good idea. It is transactional stuff which is not part of Application Setting. I would suggest using bottom AppBar. AppBar are pert you your own app and you have better control of them as compared to SettingsFlyout where you register SettingsCommand with operating system.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you. Happy Coding!!!

Monday, February 10, 2014 9:29 AM
  • Hello Vishal,

The Flyout is one of mine.  It is not on the Settings Flyout.

-- roschler

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:40 PM