Calling FwpsFlowRemoveContext0 from DeleteFn RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I call FwpsFlowRemoveContext0 in my flow established DeleteFn. This returns STATUS_SUCCESS on Vista platforms without service pack 1 installed. I get STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL when service pack 1 is installed. I thought calling FwpsFlowRemoveContext0 from my DeleteFn was necessary to undo what occurs when I call FwpsFlowAssociateContext0.

I have 3 uestions:

1. What changed in sp1?

2. I'm guessing that I only need to call FwpsFlowRemoveContext0 when I decide I'm no longer interested in tracking a particular flow; i.e before the flow is actually terminated and my DeleteFn routine is called. Is this true?

3. Do I need to handle these situations differently with and without the service pack?

Thanks,

Dave

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:52 PM

Answers

• You do not need to call FwpsFlowRemoveContext0 if deleteFlow is already being invoked -- simply free your private context associated with the flow are return.

1. In Vista RTM FwpsFlowRemoveContext0 wasn't referencing the flow properly so context-removal can be racing with connection tear-down, resulting in bugchecks in some cases. In SP1 that's fixed -- since we no longer allow the flow-being-deleted be referenced, the function will return STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL when invoked from within flowDelete.

2. Correct.

3. No. You can have the same logic for RTM and SP1/WS08 in this case.

Thanks,

Biao.W.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:20 AM