none
Ambiguity between assignment = and equality =: where to get VBA BNF syntax? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question with VBA equal sign =. It is both the equality comparison operator, as well as the assignment operator, so how does the parser resolve the ambiguity?

In C, the two are distinct: equality (==) and assignment (=)

In some other languages, the assignment is .

It is possible to figure out several solutions the parser might have adopted, for example treating the first = sign in a pure, isolated expression  such as

a=1+2*3

as assignment, and if in the condition block of IF-THEN statement then treat the first = sign as equality comparison. However I think a definitive official clarification from MS can be the only definitive one.

I searched microsoft.com and found [MS-VBAL] - VBA Language Specification. However it didn’t contain syntactic rules. I am looking for the BNF form syntax rules of VBA, and the rules VBA used to adopted the ambiguity between assignment = and equality =.

Please help,

Bob

Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:42 PM

All replies

• I think it is treated last in the PEMDAS chain. But if you have multiples =s to assign the result of a comparison say, then it can be an issue, so using parentheses is the solution.

HTH, Bernie

Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Bernie,

I don't think so. Simple PEDMAS doesn't resolve it.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:21 PM
  • VBA doesn't allow assignment in all the situations that, say, C does, so the conflict never arises and, AFAIK, there is no ambiguity.

Assignment is achieved with either a Let or a Set statement (or, maybe, LSet or Rset, or, I suppose, Mid). All of these take the same essential form: (start of statement) [verb] receiver = source-data (end of statement), and none of them can appear where a condition can.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Monday, August 27, 2012 11:19 AM