none
When is an ActiveSync DeviceId value of 'validate' used? RRS feed

• Question

• We see the DeviceId request parameter set to the value 'validate' in some circumstances - for example when the device has been wiped and an attempt is made to re-enroll it.  I see no reference in the protocol specs to such a value (in fact the specs say DeviceId must be unique).

What conditions or states cause this special value for DeviceId to be used?

Thanks.

nada
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:33 PM

Answers

• Hi John, per MS-ASHTTP section 2.2.1.1.1.2.3, Device ID is "a string that specifies the device. Each device MUST have a unique device ID string. Each request from the device MUST include the same device ID string."

Exchange Server does not recognize the Device ID value 'validate' as a special case that means anything.

You mentioned that the client is an Android device. It's possible that 'validate' means something to a 3rd party implementation of the Exchange protocols, such as a Gmail server. But that's nothing more than a guess. I would suggest posting this same question in the Google Mobile Help Forum.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:02 PM

All replies

• Hi, nada,

Thanks for your question.   One of our team member will take a look at the queston and respond soon.

Hongwei Sun -MSFT
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:56 PM
  • Hi jm2467, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Hi Josh, we've observed that some Android devices try to send an active sync request (using http method post) with the request parameter for deviceId set to "validate", and that this occurs after the following sequence: enroll, wipe, re-enroll.

Thanks for you help,

John

nada
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:58 AM
  • Hi John, per MS-ASHTTP section 2.2.1.1.1.2.3, Device ID is "a string that specifies the device. Each device MUST have a unique device ID string. Each request from the device MUST include the same device ID string."

Exchange Server does not recognize the Device ID value 'validate' as a special case that means anything.

You mentioned that the client is an Android device. It's possible that 'validate' means something to a 3rd party implementation of the Exchange protocols, such as a Gmail server. But that's nothing more than a guess. I would suggest posting this same question in the Google Mobile Help Forum.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:02 PM