Is the use of iframes allowed for HV shell presentation? RRS feed

• Question

• Rather than redirecting users to the HealthVault shell application for account creation and sign in, I am interested in presenting the shell application within an iframe to achieve a smoother user experience.  Would this integration approach be acceptable with respect to branding and presentation?
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:13 PM

Answers

• No, that does not meet the go-live requirements.  This bypasses normal browser UX security features, and hides the URL (iframes don't have their own address bar).  Users need to know and trust that they are interacting with HealthVault, and not a phishing site or some other entity.  Effectively, the process involves an app redirecting a user to HealthVault so that the user can provide explicit authorization to HealthVault to share data with the app.  This requires direct communication between the user and HealthVault, and putting it into an iframe ends up involving a third party in what needs to be a one-on-one interaction.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:25 PM

All replies

• No, that does not meet the go-live requirements.  This bypasses normal browser UX security features, and hides the URL (iframes don't have their own address bar).  Users need to know and trust that they are interacting with HealthVault, and not a phishing site or some other entity.  Effectively, the process involves an app redirecting a user to HealthVault so that the user can provide explicit authorization to HealthVault to share data with the app.  This requires direct communication between the user and HealthVault, and putting it into an iframe ends up involving a third party in what needs to be a one-on-one interaction.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Lowell, thank you very much for your quick and informative response.  I am actually pleased to hear this because I dislike developing with iframes.  I was merely asking about them on behalf of my superior.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:05 PM
  • No problem-- it's a good and valid question.  There are certainly UX concerns about redirecting users from one app/site to another, and user confusion can definitely be an issue.  It's something we've done lots of work on, and continue to investigate options with.  In the future we hope to continue to streamline the experience to reduce the number of steps and improve the end-to-end experience... but yes, for now this is the current requirement given the current implementation.  Thanks for asking!  You can let your team/boss know that it's an area we continue to investigate heavily and that we continue to test out different approaches internally, and hope to have additional improvements in future updates.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:25 PM