Link from SharePoint to a Word 2007 bookmark RRS feed

• Question

• We would like to create links to bookmarks within Word 2007 documents from SharePoint 2007. We created the bookmarks in the Word documents and created links with the #bookmark in the HREF.

Behavior should be that the Word document opens and then scrolls to the bookmarked point. This was the case with previous versions of Word.

However, Behavior IS that the Word document opens, but only to the beginning of the document.

Is there some setting in SharePoint or Word 2007 that needs be set to make this behavior correct? If so, we'll need to instruct our users on how to make this happen.

Thanks.

Kevin Hughes
    HNTB Companies

Thursday, October 9, 2008 6:03 PM

Answers

• Some more information which may help.

I noticed that when using IE7 and you click on a Word document (with Office 2007 installed), the word document opens in a new window and isn't embedded in IE7. Apprantly this is by design but there is a registry hack from MS which you can apply.

After applying the reg hack, I am now able to open a Word document via Sharepoint with the document being opened to its bookmark locations...

Refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927009 for the registry details. Use at your own risk...

Hope this helps...

Stewy
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,

You could try the following steps:

1.       Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe).

2.       Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\Internet.

3.       Change "ForceShellExecute" DWORD value to "1"

Let us know the result if possible. Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:49 AM
  • Before I make this change:
    On which computer does this need be changed?
    Is this a server issue or a client issue?

Please elaborate on the proposed behavior change this shall achieve.

Kevin Hughes

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:47 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Sorry for my misunderstanding, the solution I provided above is for Office 2000/2003 system.

I tried to reproduce this issue in my Office 2007 and MOSS 2007 test environment, but the bookmark works correctly:

1.       Create Test1.docx locally, which contains two URL, one points to a bookmark set in Test2.docx in local disk, the other points to Test3.docx in my a Document Library in MOSS 2007 site;

2.       Test the URLs, they work fine;

3.       Upload the Test1.docx to the MOSS 2007 document library, test the URLs again, both work fine.

Did I miss anything?

Please confirm if your Office server and client are both fully updated and with latest service packs. This is possibly a issue that has been fixed by updates.

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:32 AM
  • you could change the behaviour of this doc by making a macro which will always take you to that bookmarked location of the document, though i have never done this so i am just thinking out loud. apologies if i was not helpful.
    M. Hassan Raza http://mhrhap.spaces.live.com
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:39 PM
  •  Lionel,
    You are correct that following your steps works fine.
    However, that is not our issue.

What we wish is to be able to insert a URL into a page content web part, or a list web part, that references a bookmark in a word 2007 document.
    When we do this, the document opens, but it opens at the top of the document, not the bookmark within.

Any ideas on this situation?

Kevin
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:41 PM
  • Hi There,
    We are also trying the same thing. From what I am able to tell, linking a bookmark from a web pages doesn't work when opening the document on a Word 2007 computer.

My testing was:

• Created a link 

<href="test.docx#Link1">Link</a> 
      in a web page and loaded it onto Sharepoint. I'm using Sharepoint 3 services...
    • Went to the web site on my computer that has Office 2007 installed and it opened the document but didn't go to the bookmark.
    • Went to the web site on another computer that has Office 2003 with Office 2007 convertors installed and it opened the document and also went to the bookmark. This is what we wanted to happen.
    • Tried on a 2003 Word document and the excate same thing happened.

Unless there is a hidden setting under Word 2007, it looks like it doesn't support bookmark linking from web pages... We were planning to roll out Office 2007 across our network but looks like that will be placed on hold now...

Hope this helps...

Stewy

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:05 AM
  • Some more information which may help.

I noticed that when using IE7 and you click on a Word document (with Office 2007 installed), the word document opens in a new window and isn't embedded in IE7. Apprantly this is by design but there is a registry hack from MS which you can apply.

After applying the reg hack, I am now able to open a Word document via Sharepoint with the document being opened to its bookmark locations...

Refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927009 for the registry details. Use at your own risk...

Hope this helps...

Stewy
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:30 AM
  • Tried this Registry change. Didn't work. It's April, 2009. I have Office 2007. Using Windows XP with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. I wish someone could fix this!
    mainframe dinosaur
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:10 PM
  • I'm trying to do the same thing (hyperlink in a list item to a word document in a sharepoint library) It just does not work. This is a major problem. Is there any plan from Microsoft to fix this?

Thanks.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:16 PM
  • I am also trying to do this and I am sure this worked in previous versions of Word. 

I have tried to type the url to the file and its bookmark in the address bar. I also tried using the Run command with the file://filepath#anchor syntax. (Sorry that link isn't real. this editor just tried to be helpful.)

It is funny that I can add the hyperlink to a shape in Visio and it works from Visio. Clicking on the shape brings me right to the bookmark in the Word document. However, when I generate html from Visio, clicking on the appropriate symbol on the diagram in the generated web page just opens the Word document without navigating to the bookmark.
    If I look at the Visio generated code, it uses the HREF="filepath#anchor" syntax.

I really need this to work. I have a large document full of bookmarks that correspond to the hyperlinks in the visio shapes. In my case I want to publish the diagram with its hyperlinks to an intranet for many users as a sort of graphical Table of Contents, but keep the textual descriptions in a centrally located word document where they can be easily printed together.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Hi! Did you figure this out? I am having the exact same problem. I am linking for html doc in sharepoint to a specific spot in a word 2007/2010 doc in sharepoint. It opens the doc, but the cursor is at the top of the page; instead of where the bookmark is in the MS word doc. Thanks, BugLord
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Hi, We are having the same issue with our recent Office 2010 rollout.  Users who previously used Word 2007 are now finding that links they created (in a Summary Link Web Part) are not taking them directly to their bookmark, but to the top of the page in the Word document instead.  We are using IE8 as a standard browser.  For example, a link in the Summary Links looks like http://sitename/doclib/docname.doc#bookmarkname.  With the prior version of Word, the link took them to the exact place in the document. Anybody experience that?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Experiencing similar problems for references to Excel cell ranges.  Hyperlinks structured as \\filepath\Workbook.xlsx#Worksheet!Cell.  (sample hyperlink, non-functioning).  Difficulty seems to be in utilizing "#" character in an HTML web browser to execute the link.  Seems to be related to recent editions of Office and IE which did not occur in previous versions.  The launching of the MS Office program (Word or Excel) to open the target file drops the targeting specified after the "#" character (either bookmark or cell range specified).  Any experts with fixes that don't involve registry edits?

Neil J. Sinha

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:53 PM