Conhost.exe trying to change settings in Norton RRS feed

• Question

• I was recently attacked with a slew of malware, spyware, and viruses. I was able to get rid of every instance but I keep seeing in my Norton Security Log that conhost.exe is attempting to access data in Norton and has attempted to change the firewall settings. I think it is infected but it won't allow Norton to scan it and I can't disable or change it in any way. Is there a way to replace the application with an uninfected one?

Sunday, March 15, 2015 6:59 PM

All replies

• This web site is for helping people in writing software. Unless you are proposing to write a software like Norton to solve your problem by yourself, your question is off-topic here. 

If you want Norton to clean this up automatically, ask Symantec customer support. 

Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, March 15, 2015 8:02 PM
  • So sorry, I was redirected here by Microsft.com
    Monday, March 16, 2015 6:05 AM
  • Since you are using Norton, Microsoft support engineers should direct you to Norton customer support. 

If Norton is not working for you and you want to Microsoft's antivirus products to be able to identify and clean the infection, ask at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_scanning.

Visual C++ MVP

Monday, March 16, 2015 6:51 AM
  • I would just verify that conhost.exe is originating from \system32 and is signed by Microsoft.

thanks

Frank K [MSFT]

Follow us on Twitter, www.twitter.com/WindowsSDK.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:16 AM