none
Kinect for windows v2 SDK and v1 sensors RRS feed

• Question

• Before upgrading to win 8 to utilize the Kinect for Windows SDK 2.0  I want to know if it is backwardly compatible with the v1 of the sensors.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the answer is no. You cannot use the Kinect V2 SDK with a Kinect V1 sensor. Even a side by side installation is not possible on one OS. So if you have the Kinect V2 drivers installed your Kinect V1 won't work.

Best,

Markus

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:42 AM
  • You CAN install both the V2 and V1 SDK's on the same machine, they install in different folders and both sensors use completely separate drivers.

But yes V2 SDK is for V2 sensors only and V1.8 SDK is for V1 sensors only as both provide very different data.

Brekel

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:33 AM
  • There are technical ways of doing it but requires that you create your own separate .dll's that will wrap the v1 and v2 libraries in their own wrapper so the namespace collisions don't occur. Then you use your .dll within your application. I have a snippet of code of how to do this in my GitHub account:https://github.com/carmines/workshop/tree/master/WPF/KinectV2andV1

Then there are the image resolution and camera intrinsic values you need to concern yourself with if you intend to try and mix the values together.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 6:27 PM