Can’t enable p-mode on Wireless adapters RRS feed

• Question

• I have network monitor 3.4 installed on three different HP notebooks and I am unable turn on p-mode for the wireless adapter on any of the computers. I have tried running network monitor as a non-administrator user, administrator, and as system but still cannot use p-mode. All computers are running Windows 7 SP1 with all updates and updated drivers. I am able to run the Ethernet NIC in p-mode.

HP Pavilion dv5

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Atheros AR9285 wireless

AMD Turion II

4GB Ram

HP Pavilion dv6000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Intel Centrino Duo

2GB RAM

HP ProBook 6455b

Windows 7 Pro 32-bit

Broadcom 43225 b/g/n

AMD Phenom II Dual-Core

2GB RAM

Thank You

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:12 PM

Answers

• Wireless works by making an association with an Access Point.  Once it does this, it can't switch it's radio to listen on different frequencies. 

If you set to scan mode and focus on the specific channel your smartphone is using, you should be able to see the traffic it sends. You just can't have your adapter associated to an AP and scan at the same time.

Paul

• Marked as answer by robotics1806 Thursday, December 1, 2011 5:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:00 PM

All replies

• Chek your firewall .

Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:22 AM
  • For wireless, there is no p-mode.  You are either listening to a specific channel, which is how your wireless adapter normally works, the host only receives messages destine for it.

For wifi, we have a mangement monitor mode.  Assuming the wireless adapter support wifi managment mode, you can use the wifi scanning mode to cylcle through the channels or target a specific one, to see traffic from all messages on that channel.

Paul

Monday, November 28, 2011 3:36 PM
  • I want to be able to see what devices like my smartphone are sending over the network. Is there a way to do this without switching to monitor mode and breaking the current connection?

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Wireless works by making an association with an Access Point.  Once it does this, it can't switch it's radio to listen on different frequencies. 

If you set to scan mode and focus on the specific channel your smartphone is using, you should be able to see the traffic it sends. You just can't have your adapter associated to an AP and scan at the same time.

Paul

• Marked as answer by robotics1806 Thursday, December 1, 2011 5:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:00 PM