none
unable to find the requested .NET Framework data provider. It may not be installed. RRS feed

• Question

• Getting error "unable to find the requested .NET Framework data provider. It may not be installed." when adding an ado.net entity data model to a visual studio project.  I am using a sql server database.  Nothing out of the ordinary. 

What to do?  Can I uninstall and reinstall .net 4.5 ? How to do that?

I got into this problem because I installed VS2013 update 4, which locked up the PC a few times, so I upgraded to update 5, which then locked up in another way, so I uninstalled and went back to update 3 which has been working fine. Except for this problem with the missing .net framework data provider.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hello,

From your description, it seems that you are trying to use the Entity Framework and encounters this exception. Not sure if this is caused by the Entity Framework provider, I would suggest that you could try:

To create a new solution with your Visual Studio, to see if it still is same result, if it is, I think it could be that your VS/.NET environment is not installed properly. You could use this tool to repair the .NET framework:

Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool

Or it could also be that some Visual Studio components are not installed or installed correctly, you could also repair it:

How to: Repair Visual Studio

Here is a blog, I think you could check if it is that the provider for sql sever database is not installed:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/spike/archive/2008/12/19/unable-to-find-the-requested-net-framework-data-provider-it-may-not-be-installed.aspx

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Steve Richter Friday, February 20, 2015 7:20 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2015 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

From your description, it seems that you are trying to use the Entity Framework and encounters this exception. Not sure if this is caused by the Entity Framework provider, I would suggest that you could try:

To create a new solution with your Visual Studio, to see if it still is same result, if it is, I think it could be that your VS/.NET environment is not installed properly. You could use this tool to repair the .NET framework:

Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool

Or it could also be that some Visual Studio components are not installed or installed correctly, you could also repair it:

How to: Repair Visual Studio

Here is a blog, I think you could check if it is that the provider for sql sever database is not installed:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/spike/archive/2008/12/19/unable-to-find-the-requested-net-framework-data-provider-it-may-not-be-installed.aspx

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Steve Richter Friday, February 20, 2015 7:20 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2015 3:05 AM
  • one of the links said to run DbProviderFactories.GetFactory("System.Data.SqlClient"). That returned an exception saying there was more than 1 DbProviderFactories sections in the config file. The config file was machine.config.  Removed an empty entry from the file and problem solved.

thanks,

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:20 PM
  • Hello

This error is mainly due to processor  architecture incompatibility with Framework installed ei x86 vs x64
    The solution:
    Go to solution explorer>project properties>Compile tab>Advanced Compile Options
    There you have to change Target CPU from X64 to X86
    Save new setting and recompile your solution.
    I tried it and it worked very fine.
    Hope this will help you out.
    Malek
    Monday, July 10, 2017 7:38 AM