none
Infopath form to get user manager from single line of text RRS feed

• Question

• I have infopath form in which user field is single line of text box, my designer workflow is working fine taking users from single line of text assigning task for review user getting alert mail and compete the task.

I want to send alert to user manager if he not complete the task, but in infopath form is single line of text so not sure how to get his manager name. Please advice.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you don’t want to modify the InfoPath form or the column type, here’s a workaround for you:

1. In Tasks list, create another Person or Group column named “xxx”.

2. Create another list to display Manager information. Put the plain text of Manager’s name in Title column and create a Person or Group column to insert the corresponding user.

3. Create another workflow in Tasks list to retrieve the Manager’s account from Manager list based on the username in plain text and put it into the column “xxx”.

4. Email the Manager in “xxx” column under the condition of “Outcome equals Failed”.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:14 AM

All replies

• You need to change people and group type to get his manager, thus SharePoint can retrieve his manager name from Active Directory. 
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:42 AM
  • This User column (Single Line Of Text) already in production and using in multiple places.

If I change this column type to people and group it will impact to other place.

Could you please advice any other option like in workflow where I can get the user manager without changing the column type OR in Infopath form I can the user manager using some workaround.

Thanks

• Edited by SP2013Devp Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:32 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

If you don’t want to modify the InfoPath form or the column type, here’s a workaround for you:

1. In Tasks list, create another Person or Group column named “xxx”.

2. Create another list to display Manager information. Put the plain text of Manager’s name in Title column and create a Person or Group column to insert the corresponding user.

3. Create another workflow in Tasks list to retrieve the Manager’s account from Manager list based on the username in plain text and put it into the column “xxx”.

4. Email the Manager in “xxx” column under the condition of “Outcome equals Failed”.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:14 AM
  • Hi,

I'm checking how it is going on with this issue.

Please remember to update this thread if you have any progress.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Monday, July 22, 2019 1:20 AM