Can't go back in to edit a PowerPivot table RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I create a new PowerPivot table and then want to go back and edit the fields in it, it won't let me go back to the Design Wizard(where I can just drag and drop the fields that I want).  It just takes me back to some sort of text commands.  This only happens on my laptop.  However, if I send the file to someone else and ask them to create a PowerPivot table and send it back to me, I then am able to go into the Design Wizard for that table and do the edits that I want.  Hope that makes sense.

Is there some sort of setting on my laptop that is preventing me to be able to go into the Design Wizard to do edits on the table that I created?  It is very inconvenient to have to send someone a file and ask them to create a simple PowerPivot table and then send it back to me just so that I can go back in and do the edits.  This is just so strange and my manager doesn't know what is going on either. 

Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hi deeznutz206,

What's the version of your SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel? Please try to repair SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel add-in. If this issue still persists, I think we can try to uninstall SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel add-in and reinstall it.

We can download the latest version of SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel add-in from the link below:
    Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 SP1 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel® 2010: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29074

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Monday, August 26, 2013 4:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:11 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 2:07 AM

All replies

• Any thoughts for Deez? I'll probably not type out your full name, if you don't mind. =^)

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Hi deeznutz206,

What's the version of your SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel? Please try to repair SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel add-in. If this issue still persists, I think we can try to uninstall SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel add-in and reinstall it.

We can download the latest version of SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel add-in from the link below:
    Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 SP1 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel® 2010: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29074

Best Regards,

Elvis Long

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Monday, August 26, 2013 4:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:11 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Hi deeznutz206,

Best Regards,

Elvis Long

This is still not solved.

I have Office 2013. The link that you provided is for Excel 2010. Is there a 2013 version?

Also, I tried to Remove these add ins and it won't let me.  It says that this Add-in is an Office component and should only be removed by uninstalling the corresponding Office feature.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:32 PM
  • Hi deeznutz206,

Thanks for your response.

In Excel 2013, much of that functionality, including the infrastructure that supports it, is built directly into the Data Model in Excel. So, we don't need to install PowerPivot for Excel add-in

Have you got error message when you tried to edit the PowerPivot table but failed? If so, please post the detail error message to us for further investigation. In addition, please also take a look at Event Viewer log information.

Furthermore, please try to uninstall Office Excel to see if this helps.

Regards,

Elvis Long

Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:29 AM
  • Hi deeznutz206,

Thanks for your response.

In Excel 2013, much of that functionality, including the infrastructure that supports it, is built directly into the Data Model in Excel. So, we don't need to install PowerPivot for Excel add-in

Have you got error message when you tried to edit the PowerPivot table but failed? If so, please post the detail error message to us for further investigation. In addition, please also take a look at Event Viewer log information.

Furthermore, please try to uninstall Office Excel to see if this helps.

Regards,

Elvis Long

No there isn't any error message when I try to edit the PowerPivot table. Here is a snapshot of the "Text" that I get when I try and go back into the Design Wizard for the PP table that I created:

As you can see, it's a Text command and not the Design Wizard.

I already visited the HelpDesk and they uninstalled and then reinstalled Office 2013 yesterday.  However this problem still exists. The weird thing though is that after they reinstalled Office 2013 and I went back into Excel, the PowerPivot add-in was already "activated". Meaning I didn't have to go in under Files/Options/Add-Ins/COM-Add Ins.  This makes me wonder if it kept my old user profile and that I would actually need to clear this out of my laptop too.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:26 PM