Custom behaviour for different OEM preinstalls

Question

• I need my app to behave differently (outgoing links will be marked) for different OEM installs. 

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj657972.aspx#oem_developers I should agree with my OEM partner on a custom data file. Some parts of the linked documentation (see 6.) are unclear to me:

"[...] and send that information back to you as the developer" - I assume this means I might use the information in the data file for my own purposes. There is no magical backchannel into my app dashboard (where I, as a developer might see it), right?

"[...] a custom data file can be in any format" - This sounds useful. Sadly there is no information on how to actually acccess the custom data file from within my application. Which API can I use to access this information? I assume the information in the data file is lost if the user uninstalls and reinstalls my app. Is it also lost on updates?

Are there other ways to customize my app behaviour for OEM partners?

Thanks for any help.

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi flowes,

Sorry for the late reply. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Min Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, November 2, 2012 1:34 AM
  • Hi Flowes,

1.  Correct, there is no magic backchannel.  Your app would read and send that file

2.  The file format and location is available from your OEM partner.  It could/would be different for each OEM pre-install.  Your OEM contact will have more information for you on this.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:40 PM
  • > Your app would read and send that file

Ok. That's what I assumed. So It's completely up to me to use this information in any way. Thanks for the clarification.

The file format and location is available from your OEM partner.

Why isn't this process documented anywhere? I think it would help me and others.

Monday, November 12, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Can we get some more clarification.  Obviously the paths accessible to a Windows 8 Store app are very limited. Does the packaging process somehow make the CDF accessible by the app specified?

How as a developer can I test that it works?  It seems I need to get the OEM to run the necessary packaging commands then send me their image, install that image on one of my dev machines (or a VM), then run my app and confirm that I'm receiving the custom data on my servers.  

Is there some special API or should the CDF be accessed using standard file access API's with the known path?

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:57 PM
  • The documentation is not publically available yet so I cannot post it here, but you can certainly have your OEM assist.  If your OEM does not have knowledge about this, they can engage their OEM Microsoft representative and get that information for you.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:32 PM