Best practise: Determine fitting solution for application RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello together,

currently I maintain a vb6-application with an SQL2008-Server as databackend.
    The solution is used by different clients (as "customer") within our organisation. For every customer exits an individual database for the content and one "master" database contiang general configs and setup for the system. Mostly data is received through strored procedures which gets the clientID as parameter and fetches related data.

Now with all these knowledge (this application growed and devolped in lat 10 years) we want to migrate it to .net

Now I have the question to use which technolgy.
    After some searches I thought I would decide for 6-tier-Layout adopted from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc700340.aspx
    Also to take the "new" entity framework as DAL and communication via WCF (wshttpbinding)

Now I went into difficulties with the model of different databases for the clients. So I think I cant use Entity framework...

Another possiblty would be to combine all the different client databases in one and structure all rows with an clientID.

This is actually not possible because the old solution must be mainted as long as new app is not completely developed, so both app should consider the same datasources...

I hope my problem is almost clear...

Thanks for your hints.

All the best
    Bernhard
    Friday, February 26, 2010 3:26 PM

All replies

• You might get a better reply regarding the suitabillity of Entity Framework by posting to the Entity Framework forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/adodotnetentityframework/threads

Hope this helps.
    www.insteptech.com ; msmvps.com/blogs/deborahk
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Hi Deborah,

thanks for your reply.

My Question is not really regarding Entity Framework. Entity Framework is only useable while I consildate all the client Databases into ONE database.

But as more as I think I come to the point that I can't use Entity Framework and all of its bright until all data is one databse which currently not possible.

All the best
    Bernhard
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 12:14 PM
  • hi Bernhard

you can consider 2 options

1) Retain exisiting Database and just build .NET Front end and middletier on top of it.

2) Rewrite the complete app.. with back end migrating to multi tenant Database using client id...Ensure Database is refreshed/reloaded (incrementally) at the point of transition again. 

The decision to go with 1) or 2) depends on if you see any needs to re-engineer the database to resolve any pain points.

Regards
    Suds

Monday, March 1, 2010 7:07 AM
  • Hi Sudhanshu,

thanks for your reply.

this morning while showering, I got the idea, that your 2) could work.
    The difficulty will be that for a certain time both applications will run during development and programming.

I think I will start transfer one business part after another into the consolidated database. Till refreshing the app is finished the data from the consolided database will be shown in the "old" database through a view... I must only ensure, that to write data is only done by the "updated" app.

All the best,

Bernhard
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:20 AM