none
Using Excel Sheets as an Active X Controls RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have heard of the Active X control option in VB.NET, and I would like to learn more about how they function.

For instance, importing an Excel sheet as an Active X control.

While I do more research on my own on that subject, can any user provide me some steps?

Regards,

JohnDBCTX

jp

Monday, February 26, 2018 1:17 PM

Answers

• Okay, this is easier than I may have once thought.

Here are a few steps:

1. Under the file menu, click new project.

2. Select Excel 2013 to 2016 VSTO Plug-in.

Excel Plug-in selectionName the Excel from either new or existing corresponding file type

jp

• Marked as answer by JohnDBCTX Monday, February 26, 2018 1:37 PM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Finally, the IDE displays Excel VSTO project from a new or an existing file at design time.

Regards, JohnDBCTX

IDE displays the Excel VSTO plugin at design time.

jp

Monday, February 26, 2018 1:36 PM
  • Finally, the IDE displays Excel VSTO project from a new or an existing file at design time.

Regards, JohnDBCTX

jp

This applies to Visual Studio 2017 exclusively; moreover, I may have mistakenly referred to another question regarding Active X control creation.  The Microsoft Office VSTO project includes the Microsoft Office 2013 and 2016 Suites.

jp

• Marked as answer by JohnDBCTX Monday, February 26, 2018 1:41 PM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 1:41 PM

All replies

• Okay, this is easier than I may have once thought.

Here are a few steps:

1. Under the file menu, click new project.

2. Select Excel 2013 to 2016 VSTO Plug-in.

Excel Plug-in selectionName the Excel from either new or existing corresponding file type

jp

Monday, February 26, 2018 1:33 PM

Regards, JohnDBCTX

jp

Monday, February 26, 2018 1:36 PM
  • I was going to suggest this, but it isn't the same thing as embedding an Excel worksheet into a WinForms form (which is what the old, outdated ActiveX control would have done).

That said, this is the best way to go for modern app development.  You should probably mark your own reply as the answer if a customized workbook is suitable for your needs.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Monday, February 26, 2018 1:39 PM

Regards, JohnDBCTX

jp

This applies to Visual Studio 2017 exclusively; moreover, I may have mistakenly referred to another question regarding Active X control creation.  The Microsoft Office VSTO project includes the Microsoft Office 2013 and 2016 Suites.

jp

• Marked as answer by JohnDBCTX Monday, February 26, 2018 1:41 PM
  • The following is in C# in regards to documentation and if not fluent in C# I would still suggest taking a look as the code to use this is super simple and for the most part should not need a converter.

https://reogrid.net/

Documentation.

Installation is via NuGet package manager. The following page shows how to get started.

At design time

VB.NET Loading an Excel file

reoGridControl1.Load("Orders.xlsx")

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Classic VB and Microsoft Access supported an OLE Object control that enabled you to embed or link documents of OLE applications such as Excel, in a Form, that supported the Object Linking and Embedding (the precursor to ActiveX) technology. This technology is now somewhat dated and was not carried over to .NET. If you are interested in a .NET OLE Object Container control see the below link:

https://www.codeproject.com/Tips/487566/OLE-container-surrogate-for-NET

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Monday, February 26, 2018 3:39 PM