none
Kinect v2 head coordinate tracking RRS feed

• Question

• I am making a robot that uses the Kinect v2 for its eyes so that the robot can track the head joint of a person that stands in front of it.  The problem is, I don't know how to extract the coordinates of the head joint and eventually export that realtime data to another program (RobotC).  From what I've seen, head joint tracking can all be performed within Microsoft Visual Studio using what I assume to be a Kinect plugin, but I haven't been able to find the exact code required to accomplish this.  The deadline is fast approaching for this project, so any help, as soon as possible, would be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 7:55 PM

All replies

• To be sure that I understood you correctly: you have a Kinect 2 Sensor hooked to the x86-64 PC which runs a program written to control a robot (in RobotC language) OR the control program is running on a microcontroller also present on the robot. Is this a correct assumption ?

You can take a look at the BodyBasics sample present in the Kinect 2 SDK samples and make use of the head joint of bodies extracted from the body frame (code in the sample is quite trivial with many comments).

Using sockets is probably the simplest solution how to solve the communication between Kinect application and control program especially if the control program is running on the microcontroller (this "how-to" is out of scope of this forum).

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:58 PM
  • Thank you for the response.  Correct, I have a RobotC program which runs through a microcontroller to the robot.  A Vex microcontroller, to be exact.  So using the sample program you spoke of, I can extract the coordinates from the Kinect through MVS, and use a socket to send the coordinates to RobotC?
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 11:07 PM
  • Samples are standalone applications. They are not Visual Studio plugins.

Other than that - yes, you can quickly produce a prototype for your "sensor feed capture" application by adding a socket communication support to the Body Basics sample.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 7:48 AM