Spotify Web API slow from Azure in Europe - DNS resolving to 'wrong country' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

From an AzureVM in Western Europe, DNS resolution to api.spotify.com resolves to 194.68.30.55 which is in the US. From Europe this gives 200ms pings   

From Brighton in England when I ping api.spotify.com it resolves to 194.132.196.227 in 4ms

From Ireland on EC2 ping api.spotify.com resolves to 194.132.197.198 in 11ms

stackoverflow.com/q/28872012/26086

Any suggestions on where to go from here?  Any ways to force Azure's DNS to think its in Europe?

Regards, Dave

Friday, March 6, 2015 12:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dave,

When you access other websites from your Azure VM, apart from api.Spotify.com, are you directed to a different location as well, resulting in a delay?

If the issue is only with Spotify.com, as the Azure DNS will contact the global DNS to resolve the name and this geodata might have to be updated correctly in the Global DNS, you might have to contact Spotify.com for further assistance.

Regards,
    Malar.

Friday, March 6, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Hi Malar

Thanks for getting back to me.  I've done some more digging and found the issue is not limited to api.spotify.com

Azure VM from Northern Europe

Psping api.spotify.com:80  resolving to 194.68.30.83:80 in 147ms (the US)

Psping api.twitter.com:80 resolving to 199.59.148.87 with ping time of 150ms (US)

Ping api.twitter.com from Brighton, England resolves to 185.45.5.33 in 40ms (London)

Psping www.cnn.com:80 resolving to 103.245.222.184 ping time of 280ms (US)

Ping www.cnn.com from Brighton, England resolves to 185.31.18.184 in 30ms (London)

Ping www.cnn.com from EC2 in Ireland resolves to 185.31.19.184 in 13ms (London)

Cnn.com is using fastly.com for DNS load balancing/caching - so it thinks Azure Northern Europe is in  the US too.

fastcompany.com the same… EC2 gives 11ms, Azure 280ms

Any thoughts?

Kind regards, Dave

Saturday, March 7, 2015 9:56 AM
  • Hi Dave,

The ping from Brighton, England that resolves to London, is this from a local machine you have?
    I assume its not from the Virtual Machine that resolves the websites to US.
    If that's true, then the Virtual IP adddress of your VM might be resolving to US as well.
    The IP Address geo data would need to be updated in the IP Address Database, which might take some time as this is done by third party vendors.
    If you require further assistance, you could raise a Technical support case using the below link:
    http://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/support/options/

Regards,
    Malar.

Monday, March 9, 2015 11:24 AM
  • Hi Malar

Yes the Brighton ping was a local machine.

My Northern Europe Azure VM is currently on: 23.101.60.174 which:

Whereismyip thinks: Washington state
    Iplocation.net thinks: Ireland and Washington state

So yes, geolocation data is out of sync, and this is the problem.  Good to know!

I suspect now I going to have to move to a non Azure host so I can get the correct geolocation lookup.

Thanks again, King regards, Dave

Monday, March 9, 2015 12:11 PM
  • Hi Dave,

It looks like the domains you mention are hosted by DYN so it's their geo db that needs to be refreshed.  Can you confirm if you're using a custom DNS server or the Azure provided one?

Thanks

Gareth

Azure DNS

Monday, March 9, 2015 12:24 PM
  • Hi Gareth - am using Azure's DNS.
    Monday, March 9, 2015 12:28 PM
  • Hi Dave,

As Gareth has also confirmed, the Geo Db will need to be refreshed.

If you require further assistance, you could raise a Technical support case using the below link:
    http://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/support/options/

Regards,
    Malar.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:15 PM
  • Thanks Malar - looks like the Geo Db is now fixed.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:23 PM
  • Oh great!!

I'm glad its working for you now. :)

Regards,
    Malar.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:31 PM