How do I view open files with TFS 2013 and not check them out? RRS feed

• Question

• We have VS 2013 TFS.  Files are checked out automatically every time they are opened.  I want to be able to load projects and study them in read only mode with out them being checked out.  I would prefer to manually check a file out.

Is there a setting that will allow files to be opened and not check them out?

• Moved by Tina-Shi Wednesday, July 22, 2015 5:46 AM related to tfs
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 2:38 PM

Answers

• Most of the times this happens when you open a solution. When you just open files (from Source Control Explorer) or in another tool this does not happen.

If you want to work within the solution (which I can imagine you can edit the settings [Menu|Tools|Options|Source Control] to do nothing with check-in items.

And, you can always undo your changes when it happens!

Hope this helps !

Rene van Osnabrugge | MVP Visual Studio ALM <br/> http://roadtoalm.com

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi NTSS, 

Thanks for your post.

You can download the source files from TFS Web Access.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 5:47 AM
  • I don't understand your response.  What files are you referring to?

I'm looking for a property or setting in TFS that will allow me to open a project/solution with out checking it out.  I want to be able to load other people's projects and step through them with out risking accidently changing anything or needing to check them back in when nothing was changed. 

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 12:52 PM
  • Most of the times this happens when you open a solution. When you just open files (from Source Control Explorer) or in another tool this does not happen.

If you want to work within the solution (which I can imagine you can edit the settings [Menu|Tools|Options|Source Control] to do nothing with check-in items.

And, you can always undo your changes when it happens!

Hope this helps !

Rene van Osnabrugge | MVP Visual Studio ALM <br/> http://roadtoalm.com

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 3:28 PM
  • Hi NTSS,  

Thanks for your reply.

The files which all in your TFS Source Control, if you have the required permissions.

TFS Web Access not support check in/out TFS Source Control files, but you can download the source files to local from TFS Web Access>>CODE tab.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 1:49 AM
  • Thanks Rene! That's exactly what I was looking for.
    Monday, July 27, 2015 12:46 PM