Windows 8 Developers Preview Recovery Error - Says that I don't have the Windows Recovery Environment installed

Question

• I have tried installing windows twice now and i keep getting an error saying i dont have windows recovery environment installed, and cant find answers anywhere, plus when i get that error i cant skip it.

Can anyone help???

Thanks

Ash

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:31 PM

Answers

• Hey Ash,

The breakdown of what installation options (when a clean install is necessary and when user accounts, files, and settings can be retained) are available under the "Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview" section of the link below:
    Windows Developer Preview downloads

Be sure that you read all of the information provided on the page linked above before installing Windows Developer Preview, including the two quoted sections below.

"The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software."

"You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media."

Steven
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:28 PM

All replies

• Hey Ash,

Are you trying to install Windows Developer Preview, trying to reset or refresh your Windows Developer Preview installation, or something else? If something else, please provide additional details about what you are trying to do and the exact error message that you are receiving.

Messages that say the Windows Recovery Environment isn't installed are usually asking for the installation media to be inserted. Try inserting the installation media that you used to install the Windows Developer Preview and then try completing the process that was giving you this error.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:13 PM
  • does it have to be a fresh install (deleting win 7) or can i just update it (which iv been doing) and also im running the installation program from my 2nd HDD or would i have to install it from usb/cd only unlike win7? :/
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Hey Ash,

The breakdown of what installation options (when a clean install is necessary and when user accounts, files, and settings can be retained) are available under the "Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview" section of the link below:

Be sure that you read all of the information provided on the page linked above before installing Windows Developer Preview, including the two quoted sections below.

"The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software."

"You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media."

Steven
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:28 PM
  • i got the same error but i desperattely want windows developers preview...

can u suggest something else to fix this problem 

and by the way what's installation media and stuff

i didnt get those stuff

can u also explain it clearly

appreciate it a lot

ure a legend bro

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Hey Rohtihiskool,

Your installation media is the DVD or USB drive that has the Windows Developer Preview installation .ISO burnt to it. For information on how to install the Windows Developer Preview from a disk image file (.ISO) take a look at the information provided in the thread linked below:
    How do I install the Windows Developer Preview from a disk image file?

Also be sure that you have read all of the information provided in the link below before you try to install the Windows Developer Preview for important information:

Steven
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:29 AM