none
Proper Way To Rebuild An Access Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have an Access 2007 database which will not allow me to delete any queries from it. I have seen other articles on the web were developers have rebuilt the database by copying and pasting in the objects into another Access database from which they could then delete things like queries.

I would like to take this approach. However, I am not sure which of the following methods was used:

1) For a split database, just copy the front end parts (i.e. queries, macros, forms, vba) to a new database and use the external data tools to link to all the tables in the back end database

or 2) copy the front end objects and back end objects into a new database then perform a split.

I have tried approach 1 but i'm not sure if there may be more to it than that.

Also, I have noticed that the new database I copied objects into displays the objects in the navigation pane with a much smaller font and icon than the original.  How do I increase the size of the font and icons in the navigation pane of the new database? Also, I noticed the objects listed in the navigation pane of the original database showed each one with the last date modified as well as when it was created.  How can I get these two date properties to be shown for each object in my navigation pane of the new database?  Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:05 AM

Answers

• >>>I have tried approach 1 but i'm not sure if there may be more to it than that.

I think that there is no better way than approach 1.

>>>How do I increase the size of the font and icons in the navigation pane of the new database?

Based on my searching and testing, you are not able to change the font size of the Navigation Pane.

>>>How can I get these two date properties to be shown for each object in my navigation pane of the new database? 

You could right click on the top of the Navigation Pane, select "View By" and then choose "Details" in order to see his object descriptions display in the Navigation Pane.
    • Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Friday, August 5, 2016 8:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Friday, August 5, 2016 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:42 AM

All replies

• (1) is good.

I have never seen the font size be different. Something about your machine may be out of whack. A video driver? Try it on another machine.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:30 AM
  • >>>I have tried approach 1 but i'm not sure if there may be more to it than that.

I think that there is no better way than approach 1.

>>>How do I increase the size of the font and icons in the navigation pane of the new database?

Based on my searching and testing, you are not able to change the font size of the Navigation Pane.

>>>How can I get these two date properties to be shown for each object in my navigation pane of the new database? 

You could right click on the top of the Navigation Pane, select "View By" and then choose "Details" in order to see his object descriptions display in the Navigation Pane.
    • Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Friday, August 5, 2016 8:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Friday, August 5, 2016 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:42 AM