none
Download NK.BIN via serial port RRS feed

• Question

• New to Windows Embedded Compact 7. Using VS2008 and Platform Builder, created relatively minimal operating system image for Cirrus Logic EP9301 which is ARM9 under ARM v5 architecture. BLDR.BIN is 491 bytes. BOOT.BIN is 12,115 bytes. NK.BIN is 33,130,555 bytes. Target system EP9301 has three boot modes: UART serial, SPI and flash [no Ethernet boot mode]. Since target system has no removable SPI or removable flash, I appear to have no alternative to UART serial. But EP9301 UART serial boot only runs at 9600 BPS which would take more than nine hours to download NK.BIN, hopelessly long. Am I overlooking any alternatives?
    Sunday, February 15, 2015 11:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When I look at the http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/manual/EP93xx_Users_Guide_UM1.pdf it says it can run UART upto 115200bps. Following may be the options

1. See if the baudrate in boot.bin can be changed to 115200
    2. How about reducing the size of nk.bin by removing some of the unwanted catalog items?

Regards,

GSR

Thursday, February 19, 2015 5:26 AM
  • Why would you download the nk.bin via serial?  The point of the serial download is to download something small that can then install something big using something faster.

Something small would be your bootloader.  Your bootloader must then know how to write itself and the nk.bin (something big) to some storage media (you don't say what that might be)

You told us what your board doesn't have, but failed to tell us what it does have, so I can't tell you what something faster might be, but it could be a removable disk, like SD, CF or USB, or it could be Ethernet or serial at a faster baud rate.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP) Senior Engineer Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman Eurotech Inc. www.Eurotech.com

Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:42 PM
  • I ran into this issue sometime back also. Even if you manage to get your device side to work at higher baud rates (most new devices have on chip uarts that are capable of speeds approaching 1Mbs.) the PC side kitl setting in Platform Builder maxes out at 115200. Lots of PC UART drivers are capable of operating at speeds much faster than 115200 but unfortunately not with Platform Builder. I had complained to MS about this but they quickly brushed it off and said to use USB ...much easier said than done. Try to implement a USB driver in the bootloder from scratch (even with the MS libraries) ...almost impossible as opposed to a simple UART driver which does not take too much work at all and can be done open loop ..even without the use of a jtag debugger. 

Dave

Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Target has soldered 32MB flash and I am constrained to not remove it or attempt to socket it. There are no removable devices; the target is for an embedded environment w/o user access. There is an ethernet interface but I cannot find any documentation suggesting how the ethernet interface might be used during the Windows Embedded Compact initial download process. If the bootloader enabled the ethernet interface, and then NK.BIN was downloaded via ethernet, I'd be very happy. But how?
    Sunday, February 22, 2015 1:26 PM
  • There's no question that the UART itself is capable of 115200. The problem is the EP9301 in serial boot mode appears to be hard coded to 9600. It's unfortunately an old enough product that Cirrus Logic isn't very helpful.
    Sunday, February 22, 2015 1:27 PM
  • Look for Windows CE documentation for TFTP and/or KITL.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP) Senior Engineer Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman Eurotech Inc. www.Eurotech.com

Monday, February 23, 2015 1:59 PM