none
Visual Studio 2015 Stuck on Build started

Question

• I have project made in visual studio 2015 with workflow for workflow manager 1.0, content type inherited from SharePoint 2013 workflow task, custom workflow task list, custom workflow history list and site column.

Site column is added to the content type and content type is added to the workflow task list. It have 3 feature, 1 feature with web scope is for content type, another one is with site scope for site column and last one is with web scope for workflow, workflow history and task list.

I have event receiver for last feature where in I add content type to workflow task list on feature activate.

Now situation is that until some time it project was building very good but today suddenly it is taking time, stuck on building and nothing happens.

Yea I forget to mention you that I am using cloud forge free version with Askh svn and tortoise svn.

Kindly can somebody help me what can be the issue.

Update

Well what I found that site column was in two features, so I removed it and put it in site scope feature. Than I put it for building, what I found that it building but taking 1 - 2 hour. What can be the reason !!!!!

Please note it is successful build & deploy

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 3:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Milind Saraswala,

Actually you know that this forum is to discuss the VS IDE, to make sure that whether it is related to the specific sharepoint project or others. Maybe we could narrow download this issue using the following steps:

(1) Create a simple sharepoint app in your VS, how about the result if you build it?

(2) Build your app in other VS machine. If it worked well in other machine, we would think about the VS or windows Environment. But if it still has this issue in other VS machine, maybe we would think about the project itself.

>>Now situation is that until some time it project was building very good but today suddenly it is taking time, stuck on building and nothing happens.

Not the real SharePoint expert, but one issue is that you said that it worked well before, am I right? If so, do you change your project code after that? If you add some new code, how about commenting out the specific line code? rebuild your app again.

>>Yea I forget to mention you that I am using cloud forge free version with Askh svn and tortoise svn.

You mean that you use some source control tool in your side, am I right? Just to make this issue clearly, after you checkout a project from a source control tool, whether it still include some tags/properties in the .xxproj file which are related to the source control tool? The reason why asked this issue is that I met one issue before which was related to the TFS source control tool. The project file(.xxproj) has some tags or properties which are related to the TFS which may impact the project's opening or compiling. Even if you use different source control tool, but if possible, please check your .xxproj file, remove the specific tags, check it again. 

Of course, to make sure that it is not related to add-ins or extension tools, please also run your app in safe mode:

Devenv.exe /SafeMode

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 3, 2016 5:31 AM
  • Thank you for the detail explanation. Yes it is happening same in my other Hyper-V machine on my i5 Laptop.

It was taking 5-7 minutes before but now taking 1-2 hours to deploy or build or rebuild project.

• Project is for SharePoint 2013 - Workflow Manager 1.0. So there is no chance that I can do code behind as it is drag & drop, then configuration of those tools drop on workflow. 
    • It also have content type & Site Column but both have XML tags no code behind.

Before it start happening I have done lot changes which I cannot track. Until what I remember I try to delete Site Column and Feature related to it. But still it was same.

Until I remember I have no new VS extension but still I will try to start in safe mode and let you know what happen. 

Friday, June 3, 2016 6:14 AM
  • After running in the SafeMode I got below error in output window

[Failure] Could not find file 'C:\Users\agspadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\.NETFramework,Version=v4.5.2.AssemblyAttributes.cs'.

Friday, June 3, 2016 10:28 AM
  • After running in the SafeMode I got below error in output window

[Failure] Could not find file 'C:\Users\agspadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\.NETFramework,Version=v4.5.2.AssemblyAttributes.cs'.

Hi Milind,

How about clean up your temp files in your side, and then check it again.

If you run your VS as the admin, how about the result?

I met this kind of error before which was related to the access permission or the VS setup.

Reference:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1392920/intellisense-broken

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6189207/several-visual-studio-projects-are-complaining-that-a-temp-file-is-missing-and-t

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 6, 2016 10:52 AM
  • In my case, my solution has LightSwitch project and winForm project.
    Most of the times the build is fast and clean. Some times it's stuck.

Izhar Azati

Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:36 AM