none
Visual Studio on OS X?

Question

• Hi!
    I use VS to create websites and I'm going to buy one of Apple laptops.

I wanna ask, can I download and use Microsoft Visual Studio on Macintosh?

Thanks for answers!

(sorry if i'm doubling question :( can't find similiar  )

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The full Visual Studio Editions (Express, Community, Professional or Enterprise) only run on Windows. If you use a Mac, you could use these Editions inside a Windows VM (e.g. using Virtualbox which is free or the tools from Parallels or Vmware which cost some money).

The Visua Studio Code, which is just a code editor and cannot be compared with the full Visual Studio, can be used directly on a Mac without any VM.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The full Visual Studio Editions (Express, Community, Professional or Enterprise) only run on Windows. If you use a Mac, you could use these Editions inside a Windows VM (e.g. using Virtualbox which is free or the tools from Parallels or Vmware which cost some money).

The Visua Studio Code, which is just a code editor and cannot be compared with the full Visual Studio, can be used directly on a Mac without any VM.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 11:03 AM
  • Hi xkaro,

Thank you for your post.

As konrad said, Mac OS couldn't support VS, you may use BootCamp Parallels or VM on OSX to run VS 2015.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:14 AM