How to connect to Azure Stack tenant VM to external Azure Backup Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have created tenant VMs on Azure Stack.  I am using Microsoft Azure Backup Server placed external to Azure Stack ( with firewall in between)to perform backups and have added both Backup Server and Tenant VMs to the same domain.

However, running into below error when Azure Backup Server tries to install protection agent on the Azure Stack tenant VMs.

"DPM could not connect to the service control Manager on these servers XXXXXX (ID:33221)"

It does not seem to be a network problem. I had enabled all required firewall ports between backup server and tenant VMs.

Also tried enabling full IP between Backup Server and Tenant VMs. But still same error.

Wireshark shows successful communication between two, however it shows SMB2-access denied error which I assume has something to do with configuration or account permissions. I have tried DPM agent troubleshooting solutions available online with no luck.  Can you please help here, where I should be looking to narrow down the problem.

Monday, April 23, 2018 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Are you configuring Tenant VM backup on an ASDK or Azure Stack Integrated System?

NOTE: We are currently validating our documentation for configuring Azure Backup Server on Azure Stack Integrated Systems and look forward to publishing and supporting that guidance soon. 

Let us know how it goes,

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you experience any issues with Azure Stack or the current ASDK release, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Monday, April 23, 2018 6:14 PM

All replies

• I have created tenant VMs on Azure Stack.  I am using Microsoft Azure Backup Server placed external to Azure Stack ( with firewall in between)to perform backups and have added both Backup Server and Tenant VMs to the same domain.

However, running into below error when Azure Backup Server tries to install protection agent on the Azure Stack tenant VMs.

"DPM could not connect to the service control Manager on these servers XXXXXX (ID:33221)"

It does not seem to be a network problem. I had enabled all required firewall ports between backup server and tenant VMs.

Also tried enabling full IP between Backup Server and Tenant VMs. But still same error.

Wireshark shows successful communication between two, however it shows SMB2-access denied error which I assume has something to do with configuration or account permissions. I have tried DPM agent troubleshooting solutions available online with no luck.  Can you please help here, where I should be looking to narrow down the problem.

Monday, April 23, 2018 5:36 PM
  • Hello,

Are you configuring Tenant VM backup on an ASDK or Azure Stack Integrated System?

NOTE: We are currently validating our documentation for configuring Azure Backup Server on Azure Stack Integrated Systems and look forward to publishing and supporting that guidance soon. 

Let us know how it goes,

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you experience any issues with Azure Stack or the current ASDK release, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Monday, April 23, 2018 6:14 PM
  • Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply!

I am using Azure Stack Integrated Systems. My Azure Backup Server is external to Azure Stack(behind the firewall).

Please note when Azure Backup Server is installed inside Azure Stack ( as a tenant VM), backup and recovery works fine.

But when Azure Backup Server is deployed external to Azure Stack and when trying to attach protection agent, my Azure Backup Server throws  'could not connect to service control manager' error. Is there any prerequisites to be able to use Azure Backup Server successfully with Azure Stack Integrated System.

when can we expect the documentation for configuring Azure Backup Server on Azure stack integration system expected to be published? 

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 3:27 AM
  • We are from HPE R&D solutions team.  We are trying to deploy backup solution for Azure Stack Integrated system using Azure Backup Server. Can you connect us to a Azure backup server team or can you help us log a support ticket with respective team. Please guide.

Is there any specific set of inbound rules to be enabled on tenant VM network security groups. Below is the list of ports enabled on Azure Stack Tenant VM.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:01 AM