How do I determine which Premium Storage tier I'm using? RRS feed

• Question

• Via the Azure Portal, I can see that my storage account is Premium LRS, but I cannot figure out how to determine:

1) Whether I have managed or unmanaged storage

2) Regardless of the answer to (1), which tier (P10/P20/P30) I have configured

For that matter, I can't easily find the disk capacity; I can only see that I have a 29.3GiB VHD.

I think I'm just missing something key in the Azure portal; this seems like fundamental storage info that I just can't find.

Tips?

Thanks!

-Dan

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:16 PM

Answers

• Each disks counts separately - so you effectively are paying for 2 P10 disks.

If a disk size exceeds 128 GB, you will start paying for P20 pricing tier for that disk.

The OS disk size is image dependent - so it might vary between different OS images

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

1) For unmanaged disks, if you click Disks on the VM blade and then click on the individual disk, the name of the corresponding blade will actually include (unmanaged). In addition, you will be able to see the VHD URI as one of the disk properties. Conversely, these won't apply to managed dikss

2) that's determined by the size of the VHD

VHD < 128 GB - P10

VHD < 512 GB - P20

VHD < 1024 GB - P30

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:48 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply!  Yes, I see now that the title of the page for the VHD includes "(unmanaged)".

Re: size... the "size" field that I see is empty; see image below.  How I can I determine the VHD size?  Also I'm a little unclear on whether the tier (P10/P20/P3) is a static option, or whether the VHD is dynamically sized based on content, and my account just grows automatically from one tier to the next as the VHD expands.

Thanks!

-Dan

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:36 PM
  • Premium storage is a fixed size allocated when you create it and choose whether you want a P10,20 etc. It does not grow on demand. If you choose a P10 disk and fill it up you'll need to manually move to a bigger disk (or add more disks and combine them).

The size of each disk should be listed both on the disk summary page that shows all disks and on the screen shot you provided (in the size box), here's what mine looks like:

This is a Windows VM, so I'm not sure if there is some issue with getting these stats for Linux VMs.

Sam Cogan Microsoft Azure MVP
    Blog | Twitter

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:20 PM
  • I'm seeing the same behavior on unmanaged disks for a Linux VM.

In this case, you can identify the size of the disk by navigating to the storage account where the vhd blob is stored, drilling down to its vhd container, and you'll be able to find the size of the blob there...

btw. VHD is not "dynamically" growing - its size is set when you provision it. You can increase its size, but for this, you have to stop and deallocate the VM

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 11:21 PM
  • Getting closer again...

Re: Sam's suggestion of the disk summary page.  When I look at the disk summary page (virtual machines blade --> select VM --> disks), I also see an empty disk size:

Re: Marcin's answer.  When I go to the storage account to look at the VHD blob (storage accounts blade --> select account --> overview --> select vhds), I see that the blob is 29.3GiB.  This is clearly not the entirety of the available storage, regardless of the P10/P20/P30 configuration.  So, questions:

1) There must be some way to find out what storage tier and total capacity I have, yes?  Tips?  Do I need to compute it in reverse from billing data?  That would seem circuitous...

2) Is there a guide to expanding the size available to my VM, either by allocating more space to the existing disk or by adding a second VHD and mounting that from my VM?  I don't mind taking the VM down temporarily but don't want to have to blow it away entirely.  Can the disk be re-sized without re-creating a Linux VM from scratch?  If not, are there instructions available for creating a second VHD and mounting it from my existing Linux VM?

3) I honestly don't remember how I ended up at this disk size... when I created my VM with one of the pre-created Ubuntu images, would I have had to explicitly select this VHD size, or would that have been baked into the image?  I.e., does everyone who creates the same Ubuntu VM end up with the same 29.3GiB VHD?

Thanks!

-Dan

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:52 PM
  • Hi Dan,

1) that's the size of the disk you have. This corresponds to P10 tier. You can increase the disk size up to 128GB if you want to without incurring extra cost. To do so, follow 2)

2) refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/virtual-machines-windows-expand-os-disk and https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/madan/2016/09/28/resize-azure-resource-manager-arm-vm-os-data-disk-using-azure-portal/

3) that's based on the image/template being used to provision the VM

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:43 PM
  • This was super-helpful, thanks!  I created a new data drive and mounted it from my VM following (mostly including for folks who have similar issues and end up at this thread):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/virtual-machines-linux-attach-disk-portal?toc=%2fazure%2fvirtual-machines%2flinux%2ftoc.json

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/virtual-machines-linux-classic-attach-disk#initialize-a-new-data-disk-in-linux

Still two questions that I think others would be interested in as well...

(1) It's still a little unclear what would have happened had I chosen a size that brought my total over 128GB, or how I would know if I ended up going up a pricing tier.  I *think* I'm still below 128GB, because I have my new 80GiB data drive and my existing 31.4GB OS drive, but then as I was going through the drive format/mount process, I also noticed another 15GB drive (/dev/sdb) that doesn't appear anywhere in the Azure portal, so I'm not sure whether this is or isn't counting toward my total for pricing purposes.

If I see this in my one and only storage account, can I safely say I'm still being charged for P10 storage?

Lastly, you say that the disk size is based on the image/template being used to provision the VM, but the first link you sent says:

"When you create a new virtual machine (VM) in a Resource Group by deploying an image from Azure Marketplace, the default OS drive is 127 GB."

I definitely creaed a VM from a Marketplace image, and definitely didn't customize the size down to 29GiB... is that documentation incorrect?

Thanks!

-Dan

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 5:26 PM
  • Each disks counts separately - so you effectively are paying for 2 P10 disks.

If a disk size exceeds 128 GB, you will start paying for P20 pricing tier for that disk.

The OS disk size is image dependent - so it might vary between different OS images

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 5:51 PM