none
What happened to the Getting Close New Year post and why? RRS feed

All replies

• Is someone going to tell us why this post was deleted? Or is it just my system?

Getting close.

Then we will know.

I don't know but it's not in my threads either. I figured maybe it was moved for being "off topic" but somebody with authority and a trigger finger must've executed it.

Well, IMO, whoever did it would be better put to use by MS spending their time correcting whatever's been wrong with these forums for three or four weeks now. Then again maybe not. They may just delete the forums altogether.

La vida loca

Friday, January 2, 2015 2:38 AM
  • Here is the history, beings a Microsoft person did this (and this is a Microsoft forum) I am leaving things "as is".

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Friday, January 2, 2015 2:58 AM
  • Hi Tommy,

Yea you never know what the goal from somebody is to do delete something. 

John was certainly one hour before new year when he wrote that text, so maybe it is wrong understood. 

Also maybe the person who deleted it was in the same state likewise John probably was one hour before new year (I guess the same like me) :-)

But maybe can you add that code again to this thread, it is a question, then the first who sees it can direct propose it as answer and the whole community can give it many points. 

Probably you have to be somebody at Microsoft if you delete such a post with a many times voted code sample.

However, I had written Happy new year to everybody in that thread, so now I do it again.

Success
    Cor

Friday, January 2, 2015 4:18 AM
  • Cool. But mysteriously no activity displays for either of those two doing anything regarding that thread.

No matter. I can see why Same IP marked it as abusive and Esther Fan jumped right on it and deleted a New Years post in the VB.Net forum on New Years eve since it is off topic. But I don't get why Esther Fan doesn't delete all the posts currently on this forum which are off topic.

Too bad Esther Fan can't get to work fixing the forums instead of deleting the forums. Maybe Esther Fan would have something useful to do then.

In the military there was a saying for people like Same IP and Esther Fan. Idiots of a feather flock together.

La vida loca

Friday, January 2, 2015 4:27 AM
  • Happy New Year Cor.

I wasn't imbibing last night though. I never did see the code or even how many votes it had! :(

Maybe Esther Fan is to Microsoft like John Walker was to the U.S. NAVY!

La vida loca

Friday, January 2, 2015 4:36 AM
  • Happy new year to everybody!

@ Cor, nice image.

remember make the reply as answer and vote the reply as helpful if it helps.

Friday, January 2, 2015 9:32 AM
  • For this year, I wish to become moderator ... just to go and move all the threads of Ester Fan to "Off Topic"

If she have the right to delete our threads that contains VB code and  that is about friendship  in the community, I guess I have the right to do it too.

Sorry if I take it personal, but it just appears to me like an insult.

How many hours are we spending here each week ... probably more than she spend in her Microsoft office

And then she comes with her Microsoft title and say "F__ Y__ you dont have the right to even say Happy new year"

And at least, if she had say F__ Y__,  ... but not even, she just deleted the thread without a word ... For her we dont even deserve an explanation for this

Luc

• Edited by Crazypennie Friday, January 2, 2015 10:41 AM
    Friday, January 2, 2015 10:39 AM
  • Thanks for everyone's comments.

What is also funny is I was sure this post was also deleted after I posted it as I could not see it. I figured I was being blocked or kicked off the forum. But then this msg shows up 10 hours later when Monkey first replied, and I could post later when I tried. Go figure.

But the forum itself was being goofy at the time, as it has been lately.

I just thought I must have broken a rule by putting (c) 2015 Sandia Software in the code I posted as thats what Razerz and I had posted about just before the entire thread disappeared. So I was hoping the deletor would tell us. If that is a no no then we should discuss it.

On that topic, I think the latest is that when you post on a public board, you have the copyright from that moment whether you claim it or not. There was a case about it. I am going from memory. And am not a lawyer. But I do know something about it and I slept in a hotel with a lawyer one time (not the same room Monkey). I started putting (c) in somethings as I thought it might help some people realize they cant turn it in for homework or a PHD. The copyright case came up when someone somewhere posted a quite good something and then someone else started posted it claiming it was theirs. So the OP sued and won. As I recall. I could be wrong.

However it appears the (c) had nothing to do with it.

Its like what Crazy mentions, we do put a lot of time on here, often just to get a "thats not what I wanted" answer.

I know I have clicked on "helpful" before when I did not mean to so who knows.

Its no big thing to me personally. I just post these things for fun and to show off and if someone does get some value then good. I learned the important bits of code I posted from this forum.

So I am moving on unless someone is really wanting to see the code again (I emailed it to Monkey).

Thanks,

Tom

Friday, January 2, 2015 1:11 PM
  • Well, that figures but, at the same time it does not in the least bit surprise me.  8(

.... I Removed  this part. Perhaps i got a little heated and went a little farther than i should have. .....

Anyways, Happy New Year to all of our good members that help here. You have all helped me go from a newbie to where i am today in a pretty short amount of time.  Thanks for sharing all your knowledge.  8)

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

• Edited by IronRazerz Friday, January 2, 2015 7:18 PM
    Friday, January 2, 2015 1:24 PM
  • PS The other reason I like to post purty pictures is to show what VB can do. I have used vb for 25 years (in the early days it was QB or even MS Basic) and love it. I could not do what I have done without it (being self taught).

So bottom line, I love VB, and this forum! Thanks Bill et all.

Friday, January 2, 2015 1:52 PM
  • I have sent an email to Microsoft ... just to see what they will do .. I am curious

... May be they wont even answer ... I am not a MVP (I was told that once by Microsoft)

Friday, January 2, 2015 2:08 PM
  • There will always be those who feel empowered by actions taken on the thread we are discussing. Best to move forward so not to increase their so called power and know that you are better than this.

In regards to code, I would suggest posting code that you feel is worthy of sharing on One Drive which allows you to point to said code anytime you want to share.

Any ways I would like to thank everyone here for caring, sharing their knowledge throughout the year as we all including myself learn and grow from this.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Friday, January 2, 2015 2:09 PM
  • For this year, I wish to become moderator ... just to go and move all the threads of Ester Fan to "Off Topic"

If she have the right to delete our threads that contains VB code and  that is about friendship  in the community, I guess I have the right to do it too.

Sorry if I take it personal, but it just appears to me like an insult.

How many hours are we spending here each week ... probably more than she spend in her Microsoft office

And then she comes with her Microsoft title and say "F__ Y__ you dont have the right to even say Happy new year"

And at least, if she had say F__ Y__,  ... but not even, she just deleted the thread without a word ... For her we dont even deserve an explanation for this

Luc

I agree. Except I wouldn't want to be a moderator or an MVP really.

I don't want the responsibility that comes with either. Nor am I politically correct enough to perform moderation within Microsofts acceptable standards for doing such. Plus I'm an butthead to people alot. However IMO for good reason.

La vida loca

Friday, January 2, 2015 2:55 PM
  • From Microsoft MSDN Team:

"We apologize for the unfortunate experience ... have a great year ahead"

Friday, January 2, 2015 3:46 PM
  • I couldn't see any valid reason for deleting that thread, so I've restored it and moved it to off-topic.  That said, let's try to keep the user-bashing to a minimum.  Thanks!

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Friday, January 2, 2015 5:24 PM
  • I couldn't see any valid reason for deleting that thread, so I've restored it and moved it to off-topic.  That said, let's try to keep the user-bashing to a minimum.  Thanks!

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Well done Reed

Luckily I don't know what bashing means, I'm not a Microsoft guy but a community guy you know.

:-)

For those searching for it.

This is the link.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ed47175b-7508-4a5e-b9a0-d94a77f7d85d/its-getting-close?forum=Offtopic

Success
    Cor

Friday, January 2, 2015 6:48 PM