Installing Mango on current devices RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I know that Microsoft will send "Mango" devices to some developers in the near future. But for the rest of us, do we know if it will possible to install it on our current device before the public release of Mango?

I think it's important because:

1) Microsoft people always stress out the importance to test on real devices to evaluate our apps
    2) It's not possible to ask every developer to buy a new device for testing purpose.

Thanks.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:52 PM

All replies

• do we know if it will possible to install it on our current device before the public release of Mango?
    If Microsoft release it early for developers to install on current devices, then yes, it will be possible.  That would be the whole point of an early release.  If they do not release it early for developers to install on their current devices, then developers will get the upgrade along with everyone else.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 12:22 AM
  • A big "if" :) If someone from MS can break the silence ...
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:13 AM
  • A big "if" :) If someone from MS can break the silence ...

I'm pretty sure that if/when delivery of early firmware images is ironed out and solidified  there will be an announcement.  But there's usually not pre-announcement information available. 
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Surely the Carriers have a say in this, and so would probably reject Mango OS upgrades on their devices, regardless of whether it is a Developer unlocked device.

I have two WP7 phones, one with a Carrier, and another non SIM developer handst.  I too am hoping that MS will enable Mango to be installad by developers, at the very least on non Carrier Phones. 

I am desperate to get my hands on the new Mango Runtime, to confirm the behavour of the new Generational Garbage Collector.  Until we can understand the performance on Mango, we cannot get the project go ahead, so we are losing time until Mango is available on developer hardware.  The 7.1 SDK Emulator Profiler is giving promising results, but we will only be convinced when running on an actual hardware. 
    Friday, June 17, 2011 12:30 PM
  • I don't see why carriers woud have to say something in case Microsoft make available the Mago firmware to developers as it represents such a tiny part of the users base and if they have a problem with their device, developers don't contact the carrier hotline but reach out others developers here or on XDA. 
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:09 PM
  • I just don't see that a Carrier would allow it on their phones. 

Even if we Developers understand and assume the risk of  Mango install, and we accept the consequences of Beta software,  the lawyers within the Carriers would still see that they may still be liable for any comeback on loss of service and performance on their phones.  Who would be reponsible for rollback, fixs, upgrades etc.  Pretty quickly the liabilities get pretty confused.   They surely see themselves as being responsible for the platform on the their phones. 

So I can only see early Mango Releases being made available for use on non carrier Phones.  
    Thats just how I see it.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Not the way I would see it, I would have thought the carrier will do what they usually do and that is tell you to contact the phone manufacturer for any o/s issues, I know that my carrier will.

Secondly there would be a tiny number of developer non carrier phones around so taking the developer phone only route would eliminate the vast majority of developers and other non developer phone manufacturers.

I don't think Microsoft would want to piss-off most of their developers.

In developer feedback: http://tinyurl.com/3p4y5m2
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:13 AM
  • Some hope: http://www.neowin.net/news/wp7-public-mango-beta-due-june-2223
    Don't believe everything you read.  Brandon Watson has nixed this rumour.
    1 tweet today on this topic - @winrumors and neowin are not correct. Press reviews of consumer features are only thing happening this week.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Read the last update to that.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:40 PM
  • he just said "not this week" not "no beta for existing devices" :)
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:51 PM
  • I just don't see that a Carrier would allow it on their phones.

Carriers don't seem to have a problem with iOS devs running iOS5 beta on their iPhones and 3G iPads.

Quite a few Mango previews posted today had Mango running on the Focus. So it looks like there's already a build of Mango that works on an existing device.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:59 AM
  • I read this to be that the press were now allowed to report upon their Mango experiences. MS had released Mango builds to some Tech Reviewers who have now only been allowed to report, according to an NDA

I am hoping I am wrong, and that the rumours of Mango Beta to us developers this week are trur.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:44 AM
  • What part of "the only thing happening this week" is not clear? :\
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:46 PM