Not able to mount Azure File Share as a drive on my local machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a storage account and a Point to Site VPN to connect my on-premises system. I wanted to mount the file share as a drive on my local machine. Even after the VPN was created and I was able to successfully connect to a VM in the Virtual Network using its private IP address, but somehow, the mounting is not happening. It says that the network path does not exist.

I tried troubleshooting using the following link, but it did not help. It says that the script is not digitally signed.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Troubleshooting-tool-for-a9fa1fe5

Also, there is an error creating the private endpoint on Storage Account. The error says "The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state failed." It is a complete mess. Please help

Monday, March 30, 2020 3:34 AM

Answers

• Hello Sumantha,

Thanks for the follow up. Since I did not hear back from the MS team, I tried to solve the issue myself and see where I was lacking. The documentation for mounting the Azure File Share as a drive is by using PowerShell and does not show how it is to be done from Azure Portal.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-how-to-use-files-windows

I had to go through each step and convert it as the steps in Azure Portal. What I noticed was that we need to create a Private end point to be used with the Microsoft Storage, which makes use of the NIC. This NIC is allocated a private ip address and this address is needed to map the network drive.

For example - the private IP address of the NIC in the private end point in 10.0.0.4, we use it as below - 

1. Choose the Drive after clicking the Map Network Drive button

3. In the Folder you have to mention - "10.0.0.4\<azure file share name>

3. Check the box that says, Connect Using Different Credentials

4. Click on Finish.

5. In the popup that appears, provide the username, which is Azure\<storage account name> and password is the Primary Access Key of the storage account (Key1).

I have created a YouTube video on this to help everyone who needs this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrrdmb0LbU

Regards,

Neeraj

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 6:34 PM

All replies

• @kumarneeraj.feb77  Thanks for raising this question! Firstly, apologies for the delay in responding here and any inconvenience this issue may have caused.  
    A
    zure File Share is publicly accessible, you don't need to use a P2S VPN connection to mount Azure File Share as a drive on the local machine. You can also Azure storage explorer. 

Use an Azure file share with Windows

If you need you can manage anonymous users permissions to containers and blobs.

If the issue still persist, have look into the Troubleshoot Azure Files problems in Windows

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 2:48 PM
  • I also see you have posted similar query in SO forum.

Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 6:53 AM
  • Hello Sumanth,

I have not heard back from Microsoft yet. I am now trying to escalate the issue with MS.

Regards,

Neeraj

Friday, April 3, 2020 3:50 AM
  • @kumarneeraj.feb77 Can you please share me the SR number, let me followup with the Support team
    Wednesday, April 15, 2020 6:00 PM
  • Hello Sumantha,

Thanks for the follow up. Since I did not hear back from the MS team, I tried to solve the issue myself and see where I was lacking. The documentation for mounting the Azure File Share as a drive is by using PowerShell and does not show how it is to be done from Azure Portal.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-how-to-use-files-windows

I had to go through each step and convert it as the steps in Azure Portal. What I noticed was that we need to create a Private end point to be used with the Microsoft Storage, which makes use of the NIC. This NIC is allocated a private ip address and this address is needed to map the network drive.

For example - the private IP address of the NIC in the private end point in 10.0.0.4, we use it as below - 

1. Choose the Drive after clicking the Map Network Drive button

3. In the Folder you have to mention - "10.0.0.4\<azure file share name>

3. Check the box that says, Connect Using Different Credentials

4. Click on Finish.

5. In the popup that appears, provide the username, which is Azure\<storage account name> and password is the Primary Access Key of the storage account (Key1).

I have created a YouTube video on this to help everyone who needs this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrrdmb0LbU

Regards,

Neeraj

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 6:34 PM