none
WDK8 VS2012 Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Please could you offer me some help

I am new to KMDF development and am hving some problems

I have VS2012 install and wdk8 installed and working

My Host PC is Win7 x64 and my Target pc is Windows 8 x86 running in VMware Player

I can copnnect to the target and install the tools via the automated system in VS and for the first time i run the Kernel Debugger it all works my problem comes where i stop the debugging to make further changes to the driver and then start the Kernel Debugger again my project builds and then tries to deploy it to the target pc but it cant find it and also the vmware machine is hung i think waiting for the debugger to connect but it cant connect because when the debugging had stopped it hung it then

Am i doing comething wrong? im really stuck have spent days playing around with this with no luck

Thanks for any help in advance

Colin

Thursday, November 8, 2012 3:10 PM

Answers

• this is because you yanked the kernel debugger. a normal machine would be have the same way. you cannot yank the kernel debugger after attaching

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:25 PM

All replies

• the wdk deploy system was never tested with vmware vm as a machine under test, this is not a scenario we support. with that said, how do you stop debugging?  do you close VS? when in this unconnected state, is the VM usable?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Hi Doron

THanks for the reply

If i do not connect the debugging it all works perfectly.

I stop the debugging by clicking Debug -> Stop Debugging this is when the VMware machince hangs and will not respond to commands until i reboot it

Colin

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:18 PM
  • this is because you yanked the kernel debugger. a normal machine would be have the same way. you cannot yank the kernel debugger after attaching

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:25 PM
  • Hi Doron

What would be the correct command in VS to Pause the debugger while i make changes to my code then recompile and restart debugging?

I have read the documents on msdn and it doesnt seem to mention it

Colin

Friday, November 9, 2012 11:16 AM