Problem occurred when opening expression design 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I having a problem when I open microsoft expression design 4. I hope someone can help me. Below shows the exception detail on visual studio 2011.

System.AccessViolationException was unhandled
      Message=Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
      Source=GraphicsCore
      StackTrace:
           at ToolManager.UserSwitchTool(ToolManager* , Int32 , Int32 )
           at Microsoft.Expression.Design.GraphicsCore.ToolBehavior.LegacyTool.ToolActivate()
           at Microsoft.Expression.Design.GraphicsCore.ToolBehavior.ToolManager.set_ActiveTool(ToolID )
           at Microsoft.Expression.Design.GraphicsCore.ToolsFacade.Startup()
           at Microsoft.Expression.Design.GraphicsCore.Module.Initialize()
           at Microsoft.Expression.Design.DesignApplication.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(Object unused)
           at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
           at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
           at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
           at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
           at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
           at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
           at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
           at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
           at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
           at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
           at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
           at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
           at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
           at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
           at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
           at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
           at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
           at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
           at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
           at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
           at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
           at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
           at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
           at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
           at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
           at System.Windows.Application.Run()
           at Microsoft.Expression.Framework.ExpressionApplication.RunApplication()
           at Microsoft.Expression.Design.DesignApplication..ctor(SplashScreen splashScreen)
           at Microsoft.Expression.Design.Application.Main()
      InnerException:

Monday, February 14, 2011 11:25 AM

All replies

• I'm at a loss here. Have you tried re-installing? If that doesn't work I'll track down our support engineer.

Annie
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Yes, I do. I re-installing the product more than three times but it still happened. Only the microsoft expression design 4 having the problem. Besides, I also tried  to open it on Windows Safe Mode but it still happened.

Is that exists a way to communicate to the support engineer ? I thought this is the last resort to resolve the issue of microsoft expression product. Could you tell me what to do or how to talk to the support engineer ?

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:19 AM
  • Ok, I'll see if I can track down some help for you.

Annie
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Hello,

The first thing I would do is uninstall and reinstall the .NET Framework 4 from that machine, since the crash also happens in Safe Mode. You can go to the Control Panel, Programs and Features and find the "Microsoft .NET Framework 4" listed in the list.

If you don't see the .NET Framework 4 in the list or if you uninstall it and reinstall it and the problem still occurs it might be best if you open a support incident with Microsoft to get this problem resolved.

Will Buffington

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:49 PM
  • I've tried but it still happened. Thank you all for replying my query. I will try to contact directly to microsoft support center (which I just realize there exists in my computer recently). If this issue still can't be solved, I might drop the entire microsoft expression product and find other alternative.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:03 PM
  • I've tried but it still happened. Thank you all for replying my query. I will try to contact directly to microsoft support center (which I just realize there exists in my computer recently). If this issue still can't be solved, I might drop the entire microsoft expression product and find other alternative.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:04 PM