Publish Wizard RRS feed

• Question

•  

i have Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition SP1.

i'm tryng publish my application.

at Prerequisites option Windows Installer 3.1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 are selected.

the icon .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 has a yellow triangle and exclamation sign.

i select Download prerequisites from de same location as my application.

i select publish to a specific folder on a local disk. ( D:\Publish1 ).

and select Install the application from a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM.

After Publish Wizard finished, i have only 2 subfolders created :
    Application Files and windowsinstaller3_1
    and the files setup.exe and Test.application.

What happen with .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 files ?
    Publish Wizard didn't create a subfolder with the files to install ??
    Friday, September 5, 2008 10:39 PM

Answers

•  js06 - SRSoft.us wrote:

I did not realize i had 2008 express edition installed on my desktop computer so i published a test app and it added all the files to the publish folder.  It added a ton of files it seems.  194 mb worth of them.  seems to be atleast 30 or more files that it added.  The differences from my system to yours is that i have 2008 pro installed on it also and visual web developer.  Not that it should have anything to do with it but i thought i would mention it.  And the other issue is i don't have the service pack 1 for framework 3.5 installed either.  I wonder if it has something to do with the service pack.  I actually have it downloaded and sitting on my laptop but i have been hesitant to install it.  I also have visual studio 2008 sp1 as well.  I have not wanted to install them because i had looked at microsoft site for info on it and i was not fully sure if these were beta or full releases.  I don't install anything beta.  In fact i don't install much of anything extra anymore.  I have had some issue with updates on my vista machine and finally got to the point where if it's not broke i don't want to "fix" it.  So not sure any of this really helps you but it may help you find out it has to do with sp1.  You might try to make a new project and just publish it the same way.  Just a new project with empty form.  See if you can get something to publish correctly.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,  and thanks all

i have solved inserting some lines into product.xml

now Publish Wizard put all DotNetFx35SP1 files and folders into publish folder location.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 6:35 PM

All replies

• It has been a while since i played with express version

try looking for this location on your harddrive

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bootstrapper\Packages

in this folder you should have more folders for dotnetfx, sqlserver, etc...

in the dotnetfx folder there will be another folder that says en

in this folder you would place the redistributable files for the framework versions

the same goes for the other directories such as sqlserver will also have an en folder

Now the other things is that i remember having an issue when i published using click once in express version that it was looking for the windows installer redistributable file to be in the dotnetfx\en folder.  It has been some time but i believe that is correct.  If you have any trouble with it that way then you can also place the dotnet framework files in the windows installer\en folder as well.  I think at one point i just had them all in each and did not really know for sure which way it had to be.  But i am fairly certain that it will require all but the sqlserver and powerpacks files to be in the dotnetfx\en folder. 

and if you don't have the files then you will need to download them from microsoft

Hope this gets you sorted out

Jeff

EDIT ------------------------------

Ok i just checked on my laptop, the files do not go in the en folder they go in the main folder where the chk files are.  in the dotnetfx folder there is a file called dotnetchk    they go in this same folder.   and the chk files should be the ones that check to make sure the prerequisites are installed on the destination computer.

Friday, September 5, 2008 11:22 PM
  • I was looking up some more info i have

This below here is from some note i made when i first was using vb express 2005

go to this location on your computer

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bootstrapper\Packages

add these files to the DotNetFX foler:

dotnetfx    (dotnet framework 2.0) (22.4 mb)

instmsia     (installer for the windows installer)  (1.62 mb)

WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86  (window installer 3.1)  (2.46mb)

also add

WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86  (window installer 3.1)  (2.46mb)

to the Windows Installer 3_1 folder

you can download these files from microsoft, just do a search for them

In your project properties choose the publish tab, then click on prerequisites

choose download prerequisits from the same location as my application

put a check by .net framework 2.0 

This will add the folders to your publish location with the app.

Note:  if you place a check by the windows installer 3.1 it will think you require that to run the program and will not let you install on windows 98 since that file requires Win2000 and above. 

I believe that this will also install your app on (95, 98 and Me) 

There is another file for Win2000 and NT 4.0   (InstMsiW) 

I put this one in but it did not copy when i published.

you should be covered on all ends with the files at the top of the post here

Friday, September 5, 2008 11:34 PM
  • You know what, i think i jumped the gun on this one.  I did not realize you said 2008 express edition.  all above applies to 2005.  I don't have 2008 express edition.  i am using pro so i don't know where the files are located or should be located.  In fact i have not been able to find where my 2008 pro has them.  ???

Maybe what i posted will still help you find them in version 9.0 somewhere

Jeff

Friday, September 5, 2008 11:45 PM

You know what, i think i jumped the gun on this one.  I did not realize you said 2008 express edition.  all above applies to 2005.  I don't have 2008 express edition.  i am using pro so i don't know where the files are located or should be located.  In fact i have not been able to find where my 2008 pro has them.  ???

Maybe what i posted will still help you find them in version 9.0 somewhere

Jeff

many thanks Jeff

the folders and files that you mention,aplies to 2005.

in version 9.0 ( 2008 express edition ) are located in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\DotNetFX35SP1

but i'm still thanking for try help me.

Friday, September 5, 2008 11:57 PM
  • Thanks for that.  I had done some searching and saw that folder in the search results but did not look in it.  The same folder location applies for pro edition as well apparently. 

This is the location of mine ( i don't have 3.5 sp1)

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\DotNetFX35\dotNetFX35\x86

There is one file in there named   netfx35_x86   

Do you have the redistributable file?

Saturday, September 6, 2008 12:08 AM
    Thanks for that.  I had done some searching and saw that folder in the search results but did not look in it.  The same folder location applies for pro edition as well apparently. 

This is the location of mine ( i don't have 3.5 sp1)

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\DotNetFX35\dotNetFX35\x86

There is one file in there named   netfx35_x86   

Do you have the redistributable file?

hi Jeff

thanks for spent your time tryng help me

are you talking about dotnetfx35.exe ?

if yes, i have, and after i execute dotnetfx35.exe /x

i paste all contents ( files and folders ) of WCU folder to :

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\DotNetFX35SP1

according this structure

· DotNetFx35SP1 (folder)

·        dotNetFX20   (folder

·        dotNetFX30  (folder)

·        dotNetFX35  (folder)

·        dotNetMSP  (folder)

·        en  (folder)  

·        pt-BR  (folder)

·        TOOLS  (folder)

dotNetFx35setup.exe  (file)

product.xml  (file)

Thanks again

Saturday, September 6, 2008 1:47 AM
  • I did not realize i had 2008 express edition installed on my desktop computer so i published a test app and it added all the files to the publish folder.  It added a ton of files it seems.  194 mb worth of them.  seems to be atleast 30 or more files that it added.  The differences from my system to yours is that i have 2008 pro installed on it also and visual web developer.  Not that it should have anything to do with it but i thought i would mention it.  And the other issue is i don't have the service pack 1 for framework 3.5 installed either.  I wonder if it has something to do with the service pack.  I actually have it downloaded and sitting on my laptop but i have been hesitant to install it.  I also have visual studio 2008 sp1 as well.  I have not wanted to install them because i had looked at microsoft site for info on it and i was not fully sure if these were beta or full releases.  I don't install anything beta.  In fact i don't install much of anything extra anymore.  I have had some issue with updates on my vista machine and finally got to the point where if it's not broke i don't want to "fix" it.  So not sure any of this really helps you but it may help you find out it has to do with sp1.  You might try to make a new project and just publish it the same way.  Just a new project with empty form.  See if you can get something to publish correctly.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:28 AM

I did not realize i had 2008 express edition installed on my desktop computer so i published a test app and it added all the files to the publish folder.  It added a ton of files it seems.  194 mb worth of them.  seems to be atleast 30 or more files that it added.  The differences from my system to yours is that i have 2008 pro installed on it also and visual web developer.  Not that it should have anything to do with it but i thought i would mention it.  And the other issue is i don't have the service pack 1 for framework 3.5 installed either.  I wonder if it has something to do with the service pack.  I actually have it downloaded and sitting on my laptop but i have been hesitant to install it.  I also have visual studio 2008 sp1 as well.  I have not wanted to install them because i had looked at microsoft site for info on it and i was not fully sure if these were beta or full releases.  I don't install anything beta.  In fact i don't install much of anything extra anymore.  I have had some issue with updates on my vista machine and finally got to the point where if it's not broke i don't want to "fix" it.  So not sure any of this really helps you but it may help you find out it has to do with sp1.  You might try to make a new project and just publish it the same way.  Just a new project with empty form.  See if you can get something to publish correctly.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,  and thanks all

i have solved inserting some lines into product.xml

now Publish Wizard put all DotNetFx35SP1 files and folders into publish folder location.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 6:35 PM