Azure App Service WebJob not running RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an Azure App Service (1 of my 10 free) in my subscription with a WebJob scheduled to run at 6.30AM each day. The WebJob is a console app that updates a database. When I click 'Run' on the WebJob everything works as expected but the trigger I have set for 6.30AM (0 30 6 ***) never works.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul.

Paul Wainwright

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 6:57 AM

Answers

• Azure Scheduler is just a way of triggering an Azure WebJob. The Azure WebJob can be a console app, but that's orthogonal to how it's being triggered.
    • Marked as answer by pr_wainwright Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:03 PM

All replies

• you need to enable AlwaysOn on your web app and that's not available on the Free tier
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 7:46 AM
  • JuneT,

Thanks for the reply. Can a continuously running console app be used that runs the database update each day?

Thanks

Paul. 

Paul Wainwright

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:16 AM
  • It can if you have Always On enabled (not available for free sites). One alternate approach is to use the Azure Scheduler, which will work with a free site.
    • Proposed as answer by David Ebbo Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:01 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:01 PM
  • David,

Thanks for the reply. Can Azure Scheduler run a console app? Or is there another way of updating the database?

Thanks

Paul.

Paul Wainwright

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:24 AM
  • Azure Scheduler is just a way of triggering an Azure WebJob. The Azure WebJob can be a console app, but that's orthogonal to how it's being triggered.
    • Marked as answer by pr_wainwright Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:03 PM
  • David,

Thanks for the reply. I followed your post here:

http://blog.davidebbo.com/2015/05/scheduled-webjob.html

and it seems to work.

Thanks

Paul.

Paul Wainwright

Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:04 AM