Deploy to desktop doesn't work no matter what RRS feed

• Question

• I created a very basic application using local app data. Using VS 2010, I tried to deploy on desktop in different ways using the publish wizard and the settings:
    1) Client Configuration = Desktop
    2) App Server = a) Local  b) IIS Server
    3) Publish Output: ( if 2a is selected) some folder; Default database a) Directly to DB b) Create a script
    4) Database connection : some 2008 SQL server database (remote)
    5) Database config ( if 3a is selected) : a) Generate new DB b) Update existing DB

Problems:

1) Why does it need a database and DB stuff? My app doesn't use any database, only local app data
    2) Option 2.b (with Publish output option = Create package on disk) doesn't produce a setup.exe or a MSDeploy package or any other file except a MyApp.zip which I don't know what to do with it
    3) Trying option 2a with 3a produces something strange. I don't know what, it just failed with "not enough disk space on C: drive"  or something like this??? It appears that it tried to backup something on my local drive, I don't know what
    4) Trying 3b as db admin. Generated MyApp.sql has errors regardless if 5a (create new DB) or 5b (DB created by me) is selected.
    5) There is also a CreateUser.sql. Not documented, what is it for?

Is this a serious product?

• Edited by arm2000 Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:51 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:42 PM

Answers

• I suggest you decide how you want to deploy the application, have a go at setting this up and then post screenshots of all the sections of the Publish wizard here for people to check through.

Simon Jones
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, please remember to "Mark as Answer". This will help other people find answers to their problems more quickly.

• Marked as answer by Otomii Lu Friday, May 11, 2012 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:01 PM

All replies

• LightSwitch is designed to build forms over data in a database. (This may be an "intrinsic", SQL Express, database, an external, SQL Server or other, database or a RIA Service acting as the database.)

If you use security you MUST have a database in which to store the security data.

If you've not got enough space on your hard disk you've got worse problems that you need to sort out quickly before your PC refuses to boot.

LightSwitch does not use the MSI installer. It uses the ClickOnce installer. Just copy all the output files to where you want to install from. The two SQL files will create your database and add default user information to it. Read the install.htm file for clues as to what to do. Run the Setup.exe file, once your database is set up, to install the application on your workstations.

When you publish again just copy all the output files to the same location you used initially and all the users will get the updated application next time the run the application.

Simon Jones
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, please remember to "Mark as Answer". This will help other people find answers to their problems more quickly.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:43 PM
  • I am using the internal database which should be deployed with my application and doesn't need any connection or setup settings.
    I am not using any security
    I have enough space on disk but LS tries to do something very stupid like copying the entire DB server on my disk.
    I don't care if LS use MSI installer, ClickOnce or whatever.The setup process should install the files on the target and run any script without errors, which doesn't happen. Install.htm file only appears if I select option 2a(install local). Also I forgot to add in my first post that, if I run the generated setup.exe. nothing happens except that MyApp is started

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:53 PM
  • I suggest you decide how you want to deploy the application, have a go at setting this up and then post screenshots of all the sections of the Publish wizard here for people to check through.

Simon Jones

• Marked as answer by Otomii Lu Friday, May 11, 2012 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:01 PM