.NET 2.0 applications on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a question regarding deploying .NET 2.0 based apps on Windows 8. I downloaded the release preview of Windows 8 and installed our application on it. But, when I tried to run it, I got the message about installing .NET 3.5 (including .NET 2.0 and 3.0), as mentioned in the link below :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443.aspx

I resolved it with the steps given in the link.

My question is will .NET 2.0 based applications compulsorily require .NET 3.5 to be installed on the target machine, or this will be taken care in the official release of Windows 8 ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Harish

Monday, September 10, 2012 8:55 AM

Answers

• "My question is will .NET 2.0 based applications compulsorily require .NET 3.5 to be installed on the target machine, or this will be taken care in the official release of Windows 8 ? "

.NET 3.5 is an optional feature of Windows 8 and by default it is not installed. That article is pretty clear about this and it does apply to the release version of Win8.

• Marked as answer by Carl Daniel Friday, September 21, 2012 4:47 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Hi Harish,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

>>I saw that .NET 2.0 was already installed previously

As you know, both .net Framework 2.0 and 3.5 have the same CLR version 2.0. So in your case, I assume your application is based on .net framework 3.5, or you have referenced some 3.5 feature(s).

Would you like to try to install 3.5 and run your application again?

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:22 AM

All replies

• "My question is will .NET 2.0 based applications compulsorily require .NET 3.5 to be installed on the target machine, or this will be taken care in the official release of Windows 8 ? "

.NET 3.5 is an optional feature of Windows 8 and by default it is not installed. That article is pretty clear about this and it does apply to the release version of Win8.

Monday, September 10, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I did not pose the question correctly. After I installed our app (requires only .NET 2.0) and tried running it, it did not work. Then, I did the copying of the sxs folder using the Dism utility. After this, it worked. I saw that .NET 2.0 was already installed previously, but still I could not run the application. Perhaps, I may be doing something not right ?

Regards,

Harish

Monday, September 10, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Hi Harish,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

>>I saw that .NET 2.0 was already installed previously

As you know, both .net Framework 2.0 and 3.5 have the same CLR version 2.0. So in your case, I assume your application is based on .net framework 3.5, or you have referenced some 3.5 feature(s).

Would you like to try to install 3.5 and run your application again?

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:22 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. No, our application is not referring to any .NET 3.5 features. The reason I say this confidently is because I have installed it without any issues on a PC with Windows XP embedded OS. I think XP embedded does not support .NET 3.5 ?

After installing the .NET 3.5 on the windows 8 PC, the app started working OK. The same was also the case with a sample test application I created, where I had set the target framework version as 2.0.

Regards,

Harish

Friday, September 21, 2012 10:08 AM