How does IE display text in the softkeyboard's hand-writing mode? RRS feed

• Question

• It seems to have access to the soft keyboard and displays "http://www____.com" in the handwriting part of the softkeyboard.

How is that possible? Private API? Special field in the text field, the touch keyboard reads out?

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:13 PM

Answers

• IE is not a Windows Store app. It is a new experience enabled desktop browser and has access to features that are reserved for the user's chosen default browser.

That said, if I understand what you are talking about correctly you may get the behavior you want by setting the input's type to "URL".

• Marked as answer by pkursawe Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:33 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:22 PM
  • That isn't in the app's control. The keyboard will open at the user's command and should remember the mode the user set.

For example , my keyboard opened in handwriting mode now.

• Marked as answer by pkursawe Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:40 PM

All replies

• IE is not a Windows Store app. It is a new experience enabled desktop browser and has access to features that are reserved for the user's chosen default browser.

That said, if I understand what you are talking about correctly you may get the behavior you want by setting the input's type to "URL".

• Marked as answer by pkursawe Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:33 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:22 PM
  • Aha, ok right, missed the part that its not a Windows Store app :)

Is there a way to open the input panel in handwriting mode? Does wwahost remembers which kind of keyboard the user selected for certain controls? I am using a "url" and "number" field and would like to remember the choice of keyboard type for each field for the user.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:33 PM
  • That isn't in the app's control. The keyboard will open at the user's command and should remember the mode the user set.

For example , my keyboard opened in handwriting mode now.

• Marked as answer by pkursawe Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:40 PM
  • Yeah, thought so. Everything in user control. I like it :)
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:50 PM