none
Creating custom tiles for desktop apps, folders and files RRS feed

• Question

• I know the start menu tiles for desktop apps can be modiified by adding a VisualElementsManifest.xml file in the program directory. I also know that the "Tile design best practices" specify that non-live tiles should not claim wide or large tile space. However, I fail to see why this mandates a limitation on the users ability to customize their start menu according to their own preference. Opening up the possibility to freely choose tile size, and to create custom tiles for folders and files would go a long way. Making this as easy as changing an icon would be even better.

Considering the number of flawed apps in the Store attempting to add more flexibility to the start menu, can we expect this oversight to be amended by Microsoft in the near future?

If any of these things are already possible, please advise.

Edit: I seems the VisualElementsManifest method works for other file extension than .exe, and custom tiles for folders can be achieved through VBScript files. However, this is quite a tedious process and does not solve the largest issue: the size constraints. 

Friday, August 5, 2016 9:05 PM

All replies

• For general feedback (either developer or end user) and feature requests please use the Feedback Hub app on your Windows 10 system.

For questions or help about using Windows please post in the Windows forums on http://answers.microsoft.com .

For help writing desktop apps please see the Windows Desktop Development  forums.

The Developing Universal Windows apps  forum is specifically for developers to discuss writing their own UWP apps.

Friday, August 5, 2016 10:07 PM