none
SQL server Uninstallation

Question

• Hi,

we are trying to uninstall SQL service on prod server but we are getting below error.

SQL server 2008 R2 setup is already running and cant be launched more than at a time.

Complete your current setup action and then rerun setup.

Regards,

karthik B

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have resolved the issue, First i have tried to uninstall SQL service but its was not uninstalled and its completed with error, Then i have checked error log in setup boostrap folder and found some of the MSI & MSP files are missing in windows installer folder. Then i extract the SQL setup file and SQL service pack and i copied all MSI & MSP files in windows installer and renamed the missing files.

After that i can able to uninstall the SQL services properly.

Regards

karthik 

• Marked as answer by karthik1202 Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:02 PM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:02 PM

All replies

• It seems you have clicked on uninstall and it is doing some internal operation you have to wait until screen pops up, you cannot click on uninstall 2 times unless first one gives some result. Tell me is database still running and being accessed when you were trying to ubninstall

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:11 AM
  • we have disable the SQL service more than 5 days and another express edition is running on the same server 
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:13 AM
  • we have disable the SQL service more than 5 days and another express edition is running on the same server 

Ok please uninstall it from command prompt

Setup.exe /Action=Uninstall /FEATURES=SQL,AS,RS,IS,Tools /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER 
    Open command prompt with admin privilege. Locate folder where setup file is located and run above command. Change instance name to whatever you have

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:20 AM
  • Hi. Can you end task "rundll32" from task manager. And try to uninstall it.

______________________________________________________________ Sincerely! Khalid Garayev

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:34 AM
  • Hi,

I have try to end rundll32 service in task manager and open control panal again the rundll.exe is started

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 5:01 AM
  • Hi,

I have try to end rundll32 service in task manager and open control panal again the rundll.exe is started

Did you tried what I suggested ? And please show me via screenshot what error you are getting. Both when trying to uninstall from add remove program and from command I posted.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 5:14 AM
  • Hi,

Kindly find the attached error message.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 5:29 AM
  • Hi,

Kindly find the attached error message.

You just ran my code, did you modified it according to your environment. I also asked for message when you try to remove from add remove program, dont be in hurry please reply to all my queries their is no point in posting same thing again and again asking from you

Go o task manager look for all processes under your login and find out process which is running uninstall and kill it, can you do that ?

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 5:41 AM
  • When i try to uninstall from control panel i am getting below error message
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:41 AM
  • Ok it seems like you uninstalled it previously and this has corrupted few things, please refer to below threads

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10026

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/26504850/SQL-Server-2008-r2-is-already-running-and-cannot-be-launched-more-than-once.html

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:14 AM
  • Can you check Task Manager to see if you have another instance of SQL Setup running? You will typically see that error when setup has been launched without shutting down and is launched a second time. Look for a process named either Setup or ScenarioEngine.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 10:14 PM
  • Hello,

Try the procedure explained on below article to manually uninstall SQL Server.

http://jermsmit.com/uninstall-of-sql-fails-with-error-about-rsfx-driver/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, April 6, 2017 11:18 PM
  • Hi. 

Delete SQL folder. I some files or folders will not be deleted then restart your computer. And try to delete others. Open Registry and click to Ctrl+F and type SQL, find all SQL name and click to delete. Each time click to F3 and search for next SQL and delete all. Until you go to end and Finished searching will appear. Then restart your computer. After restarting if has some undeleted files or folders in SQL folder then try to delete them. If there is nothing there then try to Install new SQL.

______________________________________________________________ Sincerely! Khalid Garayev

Friday, April 14, 2017 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

I have resolved the issue, First i have tried to uninstall SQL service but its was not uninstalled and its completed with error, Then i have checked error log in setup boostrap folder and found some of the MSI & MSP files are missing in windows installer folder. Then i extract the SQL setup file and SQL service pack and i copied all MSI & MSP files in windows installer and renamed the missing files.

After that i can able to uninstall the SQL services properly.

Regards

karthik 

• Marked as answer by karthik1202 Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:02 PM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:02 PM