none
Set-AzureRmDataLakeStoreItemAclEntry fails with account name incalid

Question

• hi there,

I want to execute powershell and grant permissions on our ADLS account. I am using the following command

Set-AzureRmDataLakeStoreItemAclEntry -AccountName $ADLSAccountName -Path / -AceType User -Id $Id -Permissions All

I get the following error. It was working a few days ago but not working now. Can you please check?

WARNING: The output type defined for this cmdlet is incorrect and will be updated to reflect what is actually returned

(and defined in the help) in a future release.
    Set-AzureRmDataLakeStoreItemAclEntry : Account name accountname.azuredatalakestore.net/ is invalid. Specify
    the full account including the domain name.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Set-AzureRmDataLakeStoreItemAclEntry -AccountName "eventstoragem365ap ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [Set-AzureRmDataLakeStoreItemAclEntry], ArgumentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.DataLakeStore.SetAzureDataLakeStoreItemAclEntry

The account exists and its name contains small letters and numbers

Thanks

Friday, January 4, 2019 9:26 PM

All replies

• What changes have you made to the account? Have you tried with full account including the domain name?

Monday, January 7, 2019 6:18 AM
  • I don't know how/where to get my full account name. for example my account is "testppeaccount" then what is my full account name including domain?
    Monday, January 7, 2019 9:34 PM
  • Domain name is nothing but the Data Lake Store default name. Ex: testppeaccount.azuredatalakestore.net.

You may check the documentation and blog post for reference.

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 11:10 AM
  • I can see how this can be confusing - 

First prove to yourself that you are using 6.13.1 (what I have at this time) via:

Get-Module AzureRM -ListAvailable | Select-Object -Property Name, Version, Path

For the following example, let:

• $DataLakeAccountName = "myscladls"

With this, you should always confirm first that the ADLS exists via:

If (Test-AzureRmDataLakeStoreAccount -Name $DataLakeAccountName)

{

# Then run the "Set-AzureRmDataLakeStoreItemAclEntry"

}

• When you run "Test-AzureRmDataLakeStoreAccount -Name $DataLakeAccountName", the $DataLakeAccountName is the ADLS string name "myscladls".
    • When you run "Set-AzureRmDataLakeStoreItemAclEntry", the -Account param needs to be "myscladls.azuredatalakestore.net".

That will resolve your error.

SCL

• Proposed as answer by Sean Leavitt Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:21 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:20 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks for adding your insights for the issue, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. 

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:19 AM