none
What is future of the old .NET Framework ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello boys and girls from MS,

1/ I would like to ask you what is the future of the old .NET Framework ? Right now we have 4.6.1 version and it corresponds to .NET Standard 2.0 - maybe  

2/ So, will be something like .NET framework 5.0 ? or will be future of the old .NET Framework named as .NET standard ?  or what ?

3/ What will be with WPF or WinForms library ? Will be canceled/dissolved ?  

4/ and what/where is replacement of WPF or WinForms in the new .NET Core or .NET Standard ? 

5/ will be the old .NET Framework supported in future ? yes or no ? 

6/ what is .NET Standard x.x ? is it some concrete .EXE file ? or is it only obstract name of the set of known libraries .NET ? 

Many thanks for your help.

Jerry

Sunday, June 3, 2018 11:04 AM

Answers

• .NET Standard is naming for .NET ecosystem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/net-standard

I think .NET Core is useful when you need to use containers. I think MS needs to implement huge base things into .NET Core to development will be comfortable as it is with .NET Framework. So I think it is not the end of .NET Framework but if there will be more applications launched in containers the fluence .NET Core will be greater.

It is reflection of situation as microservice architecture, rapid development, continuous delivered, ect… 

• Marked as answer by Jerry.Mouse Friday, June 8, 2018 3:27 PM
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 12:42 PM
  • There are companies out there still using .NET Framework 1.1, just like there are companies still out there using VB6 and C++ COM. 

If it's not broke, then don't fix it.

Sunday, June 3, 2018 1:04 PM
  •  .NET Framework is clearly legacy software at this point. 

Microsoft support VB6 programming (VB6 Support Statement, VB6 Programming IDE Installer)

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 8:20 AM

All replies

• .NET Standard is naming for .NET ecosystem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/net-standard

I think .NET Core is useful when you need to use containers. I think MS needs to implement huge base things into .NET Core to development will be comfortable as it is with .NET Framework. So I think it is not the end of .NET Framework but if there will be more applications launched in containers the fluence .NET Core will be greater.

It is reflection of situation as microservice architecture, rapid development, continuous delivered, ect… 

Sunday, June 3, 2018 12:42 PM
  • There are companies out there still using .NET Framework 1.1, just like there are companies still out there using VB6 and C++ COM. 

If it's not broke, then don't fix it.

Sunday, June 3, 2018 1:04 PM
  •  .NET Framework is clearly legacy software at this point. 

Microsoft support VB6 programming (VB6 Support Statement, VB6 Programming IDE Installer)

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 8:20 AM