Architect Beginner RRS feed

• General discussion

• Well, I’m being in development in over 7+ years, i could develop fairly good UI without much trouble. Now as per new requirement, i need to play role of ‘Architect’. Here my question is, how can I prepare myself for this. What are the Basic Architect principles, Techniques? If you guys can refer some good articles, Books, links it would be great.

thanks in advance

Monday, July 26, 2010 5:05 AM

All replies

• Well, it depends (as architect use to say all the time :) ) what are the responsibilities you are going to perform.

In general an architect is: 

1. Who sees a larger/broader picture of the solution/application dev/test team is going to build and work upon.
    2. Responsible for implementing and helping dev team to choose right type of feature/technology while building solutions.
    3. Make sure cross-cutting features like Security, Exception Handling, Logging etc are properly
    4. Plans for Test and Deployment.
    5. Be part of each phase of the project from Initiation - Deployment.
    6. Evengalize the technology and software solutions to client, management and dev teams.

You don't need to go through many books or articles etc.

Download free "Application Architecture Guide" from MS Patterns and Practice group.
    http://apparchguide.codeplex.com/ 

This is one of the finest work available for architects, hope you will enjoy this.

Good luck.

Vidya Vrat Agarwal. http://dotnetpassion.blogspot,com
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:27 AM
  • thank you!!

this is great book to read. Thanks for your post.

I need one more clarifiation. Why we have 'Technical Architects and Soluction Architects '? What are their roles diffrences ?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:44 AM
  • The way I see people working in organizations under these titles are as follows:

Solution Architect: responsible for a bigger picture for entire solution proposed to the client.

Technical Architect - responsible for technology side of any individual software module or multiple modules.

Does this help.

Mark as an answer if your query is resolved. 

Vidya Vrat Agarwal. http://dotnetpassion.blogspot,com
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Thanks for the great tips. I mayself have been developing for a while now in .net, sharepoint and biztalk.
    vnc viewer | photography tips | best roth ira
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 11:50 PM
  • First you would need to define what is an architect? I think the Certs alone would be all of the following MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA, and probably CCNP, plus your area of specialization..  Know the implementation of MSF, MOF, CMMI, Agile,  SDLC and ALM ... ALM or SDLC from user request or Vision to finished product.. How the solution resolves the current issues now, a year from now 3 years from now (Vision) and where does it position the organization to use your solutions to win market share...  There are a lot of moving parts and the technology is advancing all the time, it�??s a treadmill you may want to be a doctor instead or you may need to get your PHD as well.

Being a doctor with a PHD and attending a couple of 2 week classes a year would probably be easier and pay more, at least that�??s where I am pushing my son though he has been on client sites with me since he was 8 and wants to follow in my footsteps, I just want to ensure he knows what it takes.. You have to love what you do in order to reach the level of the best people in this business and even then there will always be folks better than you.. Also, if your any good, don�??t forget the travel 150 plus days a year or the 12-14 hour days at least 6 days a week to stay ahead of the curve and meet your billable hours.

Who knows I could always be wrong and I am making it sound way to complex....

-Ivan

"Bilal2010" wrote in message news:4ff5a831-9679-45f1-9b1d-b992bb758a23@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Thanks for the great tips. I mayself have been developing for a while now in .net, sharepoint and biztalk.
    vnc viewer | photography tips | best roth ira

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Architects are different. But I think your new JD will be related to your previous work, UI building? Still, the philosophy behind all software architectures are similar. From my experience, good programmers are automatically, or with very little effort, good architect.

Architect = Philosophy  + Experience with detail

The 'detail' part shouldn't be a problem for you. As for the philosophy part, if you are not equipped with it already, will be gained along your way in this job. Besides, reading some good books will help to some extent.

I would like to recommend two books:

Head First: Design Pattern, for the beginners

Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software, for advanced programmers

Hope you've good time as Architect.

abercrombie & fitch is a popular brand to the teenage guys and girls. Almost every mall in the states have this brand. A & F (short for abercrombie and fitch) is the “trend-setter” for teenagers. They sell almost everything, such as Flip Flops, Totes, Tops, Bottoms, Perfume, swimwear, scarves…
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:26 AM
  • I would like to share the road map that I took  http://ashwini47-tts.blogspot.in/2012/05/road-map-for-technology-technical.html

Regards

Ashwini

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:36 PM
  • please see this link about IASA. you will need to follow the established career path set by this organization. hope this helps!

PS: Apart from this, obviously it helps if you also have certifications from the industry like MCSD, etc.

Monday, March 2, 2015 10:16 AM