migrate DBs to 2012 to 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Am in the process of migrating 2012 to 2017

I did it as a trail migration(2012 to 2017) through DataMigrationAssistant and looks working. I need to make sure migrating through "migrating assistence" will restore
    100% data from source to destination server. Or else backup and restore also works and its a bit time sonsuming. Can any one can clear that what would be the best
    option to on cut over day to migrate dabases using "migration assistent" or backup and restore. Many thanks

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:38 AM

All replies

• The Migration Assistant tool performs the backup & restore as well so there's really no separate method it uses for migration. You could use it for your DB migration but I would still recommend going with the traditional backup and restore. 

You can restore a FULL backup well in advance to the destination server with NO RECOVERY and keep applying DIFF or T-log restores (again, WITH NO RECOVERY). When it's the cutover day, have the application team stop the app and switch the DB to single_user and perform the last DIFF or T-log backup and restore on the destination WITH RECOVERY and take the old DB offline etc.

There will be additional steps such as fixing the orphan users (if any), compatibility level change, etc

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 10:06 AM
  • Hi Thank you, I use backup and restore, I check integrity check as table count through sys views. But still not tally. what is the best way to prove integrity is ok 
    Friday, June 29, 2018 9:56 AM
  • Hi Thank you, I use backup and restore, I check integrity check as table count through sys views. But still not tally. what is the best way to prove integrity is ok 
    What does not tally can you be precise ? Both ways does migration perfectly. I would rely blindly on backup restore nothing can beat it.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, June 29, 2018 10:03 AM
    All objects should be carried over in a backup (FULL) and the incremental changes in a LOG backup. What is your Backup and Restore plan? Anyway, run DBCC CHECKDB against the restored DB to ensure integrity is OK.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Friday, June 29, 2018 10:30 AM
  • I would recommend Traditional method, Backup and Restore Method. Check out the steps for migration:

https://www.cybrary.it/0p3n/best-way-copy-sql-server-database-one-server-another/

Thursday, August 2, 2018 6:14 AM