Launching another setup from the application setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed a VSTO application for word document. This application requires VSTO runtime 3.0(VSTOR.exe) on the users machine. Typically users do not have permission to install any application, so usually IT team will install the runtime through IT policy. I do not know how it works. But they need the file as msi to install on the users computers. Not as an exe file.

So I cleverly thought of creating a wrapper msi by using VS setup project:). Really not sure if it is the best way of doing.

I built a Setup project by using VS2008+SP1. In the custom action->Install folder of the setup project, i included the file VSTOR.exe so that this runtime is installed when the main setup is launched. Unfortunately i am getting into the error of "Another installation is in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding" when the VSTOR.exe setup is launched by the main setup i built by using VS2008.

I am not an expert in the setup and deployment project :(.

How would do overcome the issue? First of all is it a right way of resolving the actual problem?

Mr Genius
    • Moved by Kira Qian Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:14 AM (From:ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects)
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 1:35 PM

Answers

• You can't do it that way because recursive MSI installs are not allowed. If Microsoft don't supply VSTO as an MSI-based install then I don't know what you can do. You should be asking in a VSTO forum if there is a group policy way to install VSTO 3.0.
    Phil Wilson
    • Proposed as answer by Kira Qian Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:43 AM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Hello MrGenius,

Thanks for contacting VSTO forum. We could deploy VSTO project using Windows installer. For more information, you could refer to Mary Lee's thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/1666d2b0-a4d0-41e8-ad86-5eab3542de1e. You could find a right entry based on the version of Office and Visual Studio on my side. So I agree with Phil Wilson that we could not create two MSI installation.

If you have any concern for this issue, just feel free to follow up. Have a nice weekend. :-)

Best regards,
    Bessie Zhao - MSFT
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 3:44 AM

All replies

• You can't do it that way because recursive MSI installs are not allowed. If Microsoft don't supply VSTO as an MSI-based install then I don't know what you can do. You should be asking in a VSTO forum if there is a group policy way to install VSTO 3.0.
    Phil Wilson
    • Proposed as answer by Kira Qian Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Hello MrGenius,

Thanks for contacting VSTO forum. We could deploy VSTO project using Windows installer. For more information, you could refer to Mary Lee's thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/1666d2b0-a4d0-41e8-ad86-5eab3542de1e. You could find a right entry based on the version of Office and Visual Studio on my side. So I agree with Phil Wilson that we could not create two MSI installation.

If you have any concern for this issue, just feel free to follow up. Have a nice weekend. :-)

Best regards,
    Bessie Zhao - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Hello again MrGenius,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Could you please let me know if the suggestion works for you or not? If you have any concerns or questions, please feel free to let us know. We will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best regards,
    Bessie Zhao - MSFT

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:43 AM